285 hornady in a 338 rum

porkchop401

Hey fellas, has any body had any experience loading the hornady 285 gr hpbt in the 338 rum or lapua? I have had great results with 90gr of N570 under a 300 gr berger for 2750fps but now those have dried up . I found some of the hornady slgs and will be here this week. I am going to start with 90 gr of n570 though I am not sure where to seat from the lands ? I am guessing about .030 The throat is long in my rifle so my OAL will be in the neighborhood of 3.850. I have read a few reviews of folks using them on bears and elk with good success. Has any body around here had any exsperience with this. also any estimates on what velosity to expect ? thanks in advance!

In my .338 EDGE the 285's took 3gr. more Retumbo and shot close to 200fps faster.They blow big holes in deer and coyotes. Rarely does any animal shot with them move. Gary

I have never shot an elk,so I won't comment on that , but they shoot fine out to 1200 or so yds.About the same as SMK's. Farther than that the Berger's300gr seems to do better.Gary

Does anyone have any new or updated load info on the 285's with the RUM?

+1 to what bravo said! Can the new ELD bullet outperform the 300 Berger? A very close BC and 15 grains lighter can you push them faster, enough to get better performance than the Berger?

Have started load development on the ELD-X, Worked up from 88gr to 92gr Retumbo, .005 off the lands, gm215m, rem brass. 92gr gave single digit ES, 2864 avg over 9 shots. No pressure signs in my rifle, YMMV. 1" vertical dispersion at 400 yds, was extremely windy the day I shot, with gusts hitting 20-25mph. Horizontal spread 3-4". 26" bartlein. I wanted to shoot today, drove to the range only to find it closed for a youth sporting clays tournament. Disapointed, but as long as the kids are getting to shoot I can wait until next weekend.

Tater

Been shooting 285 ELD-Match in my custom rum with 91 gr Retumbo with 3.82 coal and averaging around 2830 and has been very accurate but today it was not good and I don't know if I was waiting for the beating because I shot good with my 300 rum. The last time I shot it was very accurate. I am excited to hunt elk with this combo this fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.