338 RUM & 265gr LRX any info?

I've had issues myself trying to find data for the 338 RUM. I was looking for info on the hornady 285 grain match bullet and H1000 or Retumbo. Couldnt find a lick of info anywhere and even hornady said they had zero load data with that bullet in a 338 RUM. So. I took info and load data for 300 grain SMKs and 250 SMKs and interpolated them. I then started with what I thought was a very weak powder charge of 90 grains and worked up in 1/2 grain increments until I saw pressure signs. So far as of this writing I've made it up to 96 grains of H1000 with zero pressure signs and groups continue to tighten. Now I also have wiggle room in that my COAL is 3.72. So my pressures are reduced a bit. If I were looking to load the 265 LRX I would use 250 grain load data and go from there. Always start with the minimum. I know this isn't very scientific but it worked well for me. Maybe theres a member here with one of those high speed ballistic/reloading programs that can run the numbers for you.

86grs of RL-25 made one hole in my rifle.
Work up slowly, because RL 25 can be all over the map.

If you can find data with the powder you want to use in say the 225 and 250 grain bullets some simple math will get you a good starting point.

Thanks for the info.
What velocity were you getting with the 86gr of RL25?
And the 96 of H1000
These are for a friend and the OAL will be 3.65 max because he is using Wyatt's magazines.

I'm going to start with some RamShot Magnum which tends to be similar to Retumbo with pressure and velocity.
I do have RL25 and H1000 as well.

ShortMag3

Never checked the velocity (the rifle has long been a 338Edge), but it would be somewhere in the 2850-2900fps range.

I believe the above load of 96gr of H1000 was for the 250gr SMK.
96gr of H1000 and the 265 Barnes will be trouble.

Never checked the velocity (the rifle has long been a 338Edge), but it would be somewhere in the 2850-2900fps range.

I believe the above load of 96gr of H1000 was for the 250gr SMK.
96gr of H1000 and the 265 Barnes will be trouble.

Agreed. LRX will be significantly longer than the smk and will eat up some of that case capacity. Start on the low end or even a few grains less than that. I'd be interested to see your results as I believe this would make an excellent hunting combo.

Using H1000 I achieved 2840 fps with 89.5gr, 3.620 OAL = ragged hole 3 shot group.
I was hoping for faster but it likes this velocity.

Thanks for all the input.

ShortMag3

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.