338 Rocky mt 325gr and/ or 300 gr smk

jmason

If I have a 9 twist 338 barrel and for some reason the Rocky's don't shoot will I be able to fall back on the 300 gr SMK?

I am shooting 300 SMKs out of a 9 twist at 3200 fps. They are sub-half consistantly.

I am shooting 300 SMKs out of a 9 twist at 3200 fps. They are sub-half consistantly.

Thanks man! I was hopin you'd pop out on here!

Now that I have your ear; do you find any particular barrels shooting faster than others?

Last edited:
The 1-9 will stabilize the 300 grain SMK better at extreme long ranges (1 mile plus) a little better than a 1-10. From talking with Tim North and Broughton barrels he would recommend a 1-9 over a 1-10 for the big 338 cal rifles.

I have three barrels for the 330/408 all are 1-9s, they all seem to be pretty uniform in velocity. One of them is a little behind the other two in the accuracy department.

1-9" Broughton 5C buy it and let your barrel woes go away.:D

I had the 5C on my 6-284 which everyone knows is a barrel burner. Me and Kevin Bore scoped it after 400 rounds and I was amazed how little throat erosion there was. Took a new measurement and I was even more amazed.

It sold me on Broughton...Unless something happens to them you will never see another barrel on one of my guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.