300 gr SMK or Berger Elite hunter

Ultramag45

Which is a better Hunting bullet...I shoot a 338 rum that shoots the 300 smk in a tiny bughole...I have some Elite hunter berger 300...which is the better Deer and Elk bullet... ranges from 200 to 1000 yards...Bergers are a little fussy, Smk are a 1 holer everytime... Never killed anything with either..Always shot accubonds...thanksgun)

Bergers shoot better at 1200 yds or farther in my rifles, but they don't kill deer as well as the SMK's. I've never killed an elk, but the deer shot with the 300gr SMK's hardly ever move. The Hornady 285BTHP are also very good on deer. Gary

If the SMK shoots good then it will serve you well. I have taken elk past 1100 with the 300 SMK and they worked fine. But like Gary said as you go on out the higher BC of the Berger starts to shine. The Berger is what I shoot now for all distances.

Jeff

I had the same quandry about a year ago. My Lapua shoots amazing with the SMK but since it is a dedicated LR rig I thought what is the difference in one frangible bullet or an other? they are both 300 grains and that is an incredible amount of lead to stop so I decided I would try the higher BC bullet of the 2 (Berger) it shot good, 3/8"-1/2" @200 but not the .01 groups I was getting with the SMK I messed with seating depth a little and found them to be a little too finicky for me. So I stayed with the SMK. I have taken the SMK out to 1700 and it does great. Broz says he gets better ELR performance with the Berger so if you can get them both to shoot 1 hole groups try them side by side at 1k or so and see what you think.

If the SMK shoots good then it will serve you well. I have taken elk past 1100 with the 300 SMK and they worked fine. But like Gary said as you go on out the higher BC of the Berger starts to shine. The Berger is what I shoot now for all distances.

Jeff

Some good advice lightbulb

I've used both in my Edge. The SMKs were a little too sensitive to seating depth but still shot well.
The Bergers really don't care where they are seated. My OAL to the lands is somewhere around 4.1". Just for giggles I seated them to mag length of 3.8"

The spreads were still in the single digits and they still shot very very well.

2 years ago I took a deer with the SMKs at 700 yards and it literally put it on its back.

This last year I took a deer at 350 with Bergers and it ran quite a bit. I shot it just behind the shoulder and the exit hole looked like the entrance hole.

From what I have found the Sierras perform at any range and kill with authority.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts