338 ocw opinions?

Yep, I'd definitely keep going up until you see the first sign of pressure.
I get what your saying and appreciate seeing another shooters side.... my goal is a mile, that goal can be reached at this velocities..... I'm not sure I want the throat erosion and barrel burning from running with the highest possible charge weight..... usually you'll find better longevity & consistency not chasing un necessary velocities

Hey guys been a while... got some data I'd like to throw at you..... yes I know the round count is small but I'm on a budget, still good data...still it's only 3 rounds per load, I get it

Gr.wght.....avg.vel...SD....ES

My opinion is 95 is what I'm looking for, the average velocity is real close to above&below velocities and SD & ES looks real good.. all opinions are welcome!

Hey guys been a while... got some data I'd like to throw at you..... yes I know the round count is small but I'm on a budget, still good data...still it's only 3 rounds per load, I get it

My opinion is 95 is what I'm looking for, the average velocity is real close to above&below velocities and SD & ES looks real good.. all opinions are welcome!
ES and SD on 94.1 Grains is very similar and only 20 ft./s difference your powder will go farther the life of your barrel will go far there as well.I run 94 Grains of retumbo with a 250 elite hunter in my 338 Lapua and getting 2948 ft./s

ES and SD on 94.1 Grains is very similar and only 20 ft./s difference your powder will go farther the life of your barrel will go far there as well.I run 94 Grains of retumbo with a 250 elite hunter in my 338 Lapua and getting 2948 ft./s
I thought the very same, however I'm at the bottom of my velocity needed at 2850fps for 1,760yards

Shoot them as a ladder at 600 yds and maybe then you will get your answer.

Shoot them as a ladder at 600 yds and maybe then you will get your answer.
What do you think I would see that the actual velocities didn't show or imply? Tight SD's will always look good at 600 .... even loose velocities will look good at 600 with a lapua, .... not being a smart *** so please don't take this out of context, thank you for the reply

What do you think I would see that the actual velocities didn't show or imply? Tight SD's will always look good at 600 .... even loose velocities will look good at 600 with a lapua, .... not being a smart *** so please don't take this out of context, thank you for the reply

You will see what the numbers don't actually tell you.

I think the data looks good and looks like you are within a good stable velocity node but but I did not see within the post where there was an associated OCW target with the charge weight range that you posted. So velocity data without target data just proves that the load will shoot the same speed not necessarily to the same location.

If ES/SD are the sole determining factor in an accurate load just pick the lowest number and run it out to a mile It should be fine.

I'll check the group that load shoots in next few days and report back.... however at distance group size doesn't matter as much as velocity. However group size and shape more importantly represents the loads ability to throw consistently shaped groups at distance, hope that makes sense, lol. However groups vertically fall apart at distance without low SD's.... velocity is more important at distance compared to group size I think, in my experience

I know ES/SD gets more critical the further you get out especially once you start breaking that 1500 yd mark and get closer to 2000. What I have found is that it's not just the ability of the load to produce consistent velocities but for the load to also be in time with the barrel, I have yet to figure out any other way to do that other than shots on paper. Let me know if you have figured out a way.
I am interested to see how they group.

I know ES/SD gets more critical the further you get out especially once you start breaking that 1500 yd mark and get closer to 2000. What I have found is that it's not just the ability of the load to produce consistent velocities but for the load to also be in time with the barrel, I have yet to figure out any other way to do that other than shots on paper. Let me know if you have figured out a way.
I am interested to see how they group.
I'm anxious to see how they group too.... do you think a harmonic node will also reflect in the velocities of certain loads. I mean the idea is to find a relaxed state in the barrel harmonics, wouldn't that also be relative to velocities? I'm curious your thoughts on this

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.