338 ocw opinions?

Looks like avg POI for the 88.5-89.3 stayed relatively stable so I'd load 88.9 and do varying seating depths to see if you can get groups to close.
Groups starting shifting left as you went above 89.3 and then coming back to right when you got to 90.1 so I'd do more increments going above 90.1 and see if POI stabilizes again assuming pressures are ok. If you find another stable node then take can do seating depths again at that point.
Keep us posted as will be watching to see how this progresses.

Looks like avg POI for the 88.5-89.3 stayed relatively stable so I'd load 88.9 and do varying seating depths to see if you can get groups to close.
Groups starting shifting left as you went above 89.3 and then coming back to right when you got to 90.1 so I'd do more increments going above 90.1 and see if POI stabilizes again assuming pressures are ok. If you find another stable node then take can do seating depths again at that point.
Keep us posted as will be watching to see how this progresses.
I see what your saying, my read was these 4 groups have almost no variance which emplies the barrel harmonics are settling down.....so it seems that is a great node (89.7-89.9).... the OAL is mag length (.060") jump with full-sized brass..... I think it'll cut .5 moa groups all day long with good es/SD and neck sized only with special care in reloading

Attachments

• 20210106_125159.jpg
    20210106_125159.jpg
    812.5 KB · Views: 91
Is this a factory rifle? Custom? Reamer being which was used to chamber your rifle if it was a custom.

I would increase your powder charge. All chambers are different. I'd increase until you see pressure.

My current load is: 300 Gr. Berger EOL, 91 Gr. H1000, Lapua Brass, and Fed215M. Produces 2850 FPS.

I would assume this is a long range rifle ?? Do your test at 600 yards, and you will find a load a lot sooner. IMO 100 yards is a waste of ammo for big caliber long range rig unless that's the distance you plan on shooting most of the time !!

I would assume this is a long range rifle ?? Do your test at 600 yards, and you will find a load a lot sooner. IMO 100 yards is a waste of ammo for big caliber long range rig unless that's the distance you plan on shooting most of the time !!
Yes it is a long range rifle..... the reason I think an OCW test is suppose to be done at 100y is to rule out variables that will present themselves at further distances...... and group size isn't necessarily the goal, its more point of impact and dialing in consistency

I went out with the 89.9 & velocities weren't great... I shot 5 shots starting with clean bore so first shot usually bit slow but here's what they were...
1) 2,651
2) 2,678
3) 2,662
4) 2,664
5) 2,681
SD 12
ES 30
Soooo, now it looks like I'm gonna look at 91-93 gr range and see if I can't get to 2,850 fps without pressure signs and low SD.... what do you guys think a low SD should be, I'm thinking under 10 is acceptable, your thoughts?

Single digits are ideal for both. I believe ES is crucial to be in the single digits. Load up .3 grain increments and see when and where you get pressure signs.

I forgot you were shooting 285s. You might get to 93 grains of powder before you see pressure. All chambers are different.

Last edited:
Single digits are ideal for both. I believe ES is crucial to be in the single digits. Load up .3 grain increments and see when and where you get pressure signs.
Wow, ES in the single digits is crazy tough...... however I think I'll be loading in .3 gr increments like you suggest from 91-93ish grs...... but this time I'll pay more attention to chrono than group size and see what happens

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts