.338 Lapua sizing die question

masp7

My fired cases are .585" at the base. After running them through the RCBS sizer, they are still .585".
At first I thought this would be OK, like a neck die... unfortunately, after two firings I'm having very stiff bolt opening.
So what's the problem? Tight chamber, slightly oversize die, both, neither?
(My guess is that I have a tight chamber and a upper tolerance die.)
Anyone have a set of dies with a tighter base?

I would try Redding or Forster- I have had this same problem with several cartridges using match reamers and RCBS dies- dies are just to big.....

I just took the calipers to my 338 LM Forster BR die and it measured .585". Measured with the calipers it's probably more like .586" or so.
Wayne aka WAMBO

I had a similar problem using my Redding die. I had adjusted the die down until it contacted the shell holder at full lift. I contacted Redding about the problem and they said to screw the die down another 1/2 turn. That fixed the problem.

I'll have to try that.
For all that replied, what do your fired cases mike at the base? I found that measuring the die is iffy at best with the case taper and mouth taper in the die.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts