Sizing die question/issue

MT257

So I am full length sizing some brass. I ran it through my die and they come out looking like this. Should I be concerned about the line above the belt? Do I have my die set incorrectly? Is this how old brass gets? I'd say this stuff is nearing the end of its life.

IMG_8108.jpeg
IMG_8107.jpeg

MT257,

Does the sized brass chamber smoothly in your action? Is there any ridge to be felt if you feel inside the case with a wire or paper clip where the sizing stops?

How does the fired diameter of the case compare to a new case at about .2"-.3" above the bottom of the case?

These would be the things I would look for indicating a potential case failure in the near future.

This assumes no obvious issues like loose primer pocket, cracks, splits in the neck, etc.

Hope this helps.

MT257,

Does the sized brass chamber smoothly in your action? Is there any ridge to be felt if you feel inside the case with a wire or paper clip where the sizing stops?

How does the fired diameter of the case compare to a new case at about .2"-.3" above the bottom of the case?

These would be the things I would look for indicating a potential case failure in the near future.

This assumes no obvious issues like loose primer pocket, cracks, splits in the neck, etc.

Hope this helps.
It chambers. Bolt doesn't fall silky smooth. I cannot feel anything with a paper clip on the inside of the case that would lead me to believe the brass is cracked.

MT257,

Hope this helps.
The brass in bottom picture I can run my finger nail on it and tell there is a ridge.

I've seen the same effects on 6arc and 6.5 grendel brass. It comes off in my tumbler though. If you are head-spacing off the shoulder and only bumping back 2 or 3-thou your brass is not dangerously thinning at the belt. do you know the paper clip method for checking it? For many years now I've heard and read stories warning about belted magnums with case Head separation at the belt. I've been reloading 264, 7mm, 7mmSTW, and 300 WinMag since the late 70s and I've never seen one actually separate. Don't know anyone that's had one separate either.

I wouldn't say you have a problem at this point. Have you measured the headspace on a case that chambers vs. your resized one that isn't as smooth? What are the measurements? How many firings on the resized brass?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm trying to confirm your brass doesn't have any issues. The outside ridge is ok unless the case diameter expanded excessively hence the question about the new vs. fired brass diameter.

I wouldn't say you have a problem at this point. Have you measured the headspace on a case that chambers vs. your resized one that isn't as smooth? What are the measurements? How many firings on the resized brass?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm trying to confirm your brass doesn't have any issues. The outside ridge is ok unless the case diameter expanded excessively hence the question about the new vs. fired brass diameter.
Have not measured head space, not sure how. What measurements are you looking for? Not how many firings on this brass. 6-7+ would be my guess.

With belted cases, the area just in front of the belt isnt sized. Eventually, this area will not allow the round to chamber because it continues to expand. This is the same situation as neck sizing only. Eventually the case near the head expands to the point that a FL sizing die is needed. There is a gentleman who makes a die that sizes this area on belted cases. I cant recall his name but I'm sure some here know who I'm talking about and will help me out here. This is why I stopped using belted cases over 40 yrs ago. The area where the sharp edge is may be caused by the way the die is cut, not being rounded enough at the mouth. What lube are you using btw?

With belted cases, the area just in front of the belt isnt sized. Eventually, this area will not allow the round to chamber because it continues to expand. This is the same situation as neck sizing only. Eventually the case near the head expands to the point that a FL sizing die is needed. There is a gentleman who makes a die that sizes this area on belted cases. I cant recall his name but I'm sure some here know who I'm talking about and will help me out here. This is why I stopped using belted cases over 40 yrs ago. The area where the sharp edge is may be caused by the way the die is cut, not being rounded enough at the mouth. What lube are you using btw?
Using hornady one shot.

This is the same situation as neck sizing only. Eventually the case near the head expands to the point that a FL sizing die is needed.
This depends on your choices & build.
the area just in front of the belt isnt sized.
That's all this is
There is a gentleman who makes a die that sizes this area on belted cases. I cant recall his name but I'm sure some here know who I'm talking about and will help me out here.
Maybe: https://larrywillis.com/

If you can see damage inside your die you can send it back to the maker of the die and they can polish it out and if it's too far gone they will tell you.
If you have a friend with a borescope have him take a look at it to see if the problem is chamber.
I have seen Larry Willis dies fix problems.
Just my opinion