338 lapua ai

Odd question. Single shot only?
I bought the savage 110 ba stealth and had that chambered for a improved. Also did the long range hunter set the action in a xlr chassis and put a 34" tube on it.
If you are wanting something you can carry stay under 28" if you are building g it to sit and shoot then go longer as it adds more speed to the round.
You ca buy the long range hunter cheaper than most actions. They shoot very well.

Not needing a repeater, Savage is a good recommendation, I'll check to see if they have a single shot to handle the lapua. I'm looking to get 2800+ on sierra 300 smk's and I've read the ai is gentle on lapua brass.

Yep I turned both mine into single shots by using mono Bullets. You should be easily able to get to your desired FPS. If you stop at 2800 that would be very easy on brass. If you get over a 32" barrel you should be able to push a 300gr over 3000fps.

Yep I turned both mine into single shots by using mono Bullets. You should be easily able to get to your desired FPS. If you stop at 2800 that would be very easy on brass. If you get over a 32" barrel you should be able to push a 300gr over 3000fps.
I like the single shot 338 lapua they are selling, I wonder if it would be easy for a smith to pull the barrel and ream it to an 338lapua ai. The arrel is only 26", or maybe best to just sell the barrel and buy a 32" and have it chambered ai. Any thoughts on that?

Yes the one I gave my brother was rebarrelled into a 34". So obviously that was a barrel swap. But I had the same smith chamber the stock 24" tube on the stealth BA into an improved. To match the 34" barrel. That way I can fire form all the brass with the factory barrel. Save the life on the new good barrel. So ya it can be done. Wasn't very expensive either.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.