338 Hammer hunter bullets

yorke-1

My 307 grain 338s from hammer bullets showed up on Friday and they look even better than I expected!

That's a 300gr OTM, 277gr Cutting Edge, and the 307 Hammer bullet. I'm going to try and load them up in my 338/408 improved with a 9.3" twist and see how they do. I have another gun in the works to test them as well. It's a 9" twist, but with a lower velocity.

The bullets are all perfectly uniform in length, weight and meplat. I'm pretty excited to see how they do.

Andrew

They are gorgeous.

I wish he had some lighter ones. Not all my barrels have the twist required.

What is your projected bc? Are they solid or lead filled? Would be interesting in my 338 norma 1:9.4 twist

They are gorgeous.

I wish he had some lighter ones. Not all my barrels have the twist required.

I think I miss spoke. Sorry, they have been very busy. There are now "standard twist" rated bullets for almost everything.

WOW guys.

Now I have to tally up the rifles. Make a list and get some ordered....

What is your projected bc? Are they solid or lead filled? Would be interesting in my 338 norma 1:9.4 twist

It's a solid copper hollow point. I've tried a few of the bore rider style solids in my .375 BME will pretty erratic results. The belief is that the driving band just isn't engaging the rifling well enough to completely stabilize the bullets. I'm very optimistic about the profile on these. RoyinIdaho has been testing the .375s with great results.

The projected BC is a g7 .404 compared to Berger's advertised .421 for the 300gr OTM. I know that you can't accurately predict BC based on looks, but I have a feeling that the BC is higher than .404 on the Hammer bullet. The thing looks like it's going 3000 fps just sitting there!

Andrew

I just got my 338 lap imp back from Bigngreen and went to the range today to do some barrel break in and start load work with the 307's . My rifle is a 9" twist which puts the 307 a bit marginal for stability at our elevation of 3000ft. My first couple on target were perfect round holes. We started some load work up then and the next on target was oblong. Not good. We may have jumped the gun a bit putting these up on the sight. They are designed for 8" twist but I think they are not stabilizing as well as the stability calculator says they should. These guys are the most aggressive bullet we have designed so far. We are going to move the center of gravity forward a bit to help them stabilize a bit easier. This will probably cause them to gain some weight so we may lengthen the boat tail by changing the angle and try to offset the weight gain by adjusting the boat tail.

We also tested a 285g version that is designed for the 9" twist and they shot well. Chose the wrong powder and ran out of barrel before reaching pressure. Will keep you all posted on this guy.

Yorke,

Go ahead and shoot the ones that you received and let me know how they do. If they do well for you we may keep them as they are. I have a feeling they may cause you some trouble. I will be sending you a box of the new one as soon we get it finalized.

Sorry for the trouble.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.