338 EDGE

I am intersted in the .338 EDGE. I have emailed Shawn to get an idea of the cost of converting my Rem. 700 in 300 RUM to a .338 EDGE, but then I read on his site that he offers the Canyon Rifle in both .300 RUM and .338 EDGE and now I have to ask about the advantages/disadvantages of the two calibers, assuming both from a blueprinted action with a good barrel and good optics.

I am only interested in using the rifle for long range hunting. Deer/Elk mainly, but toss in a Bear and a Cougar if they happen to come along. So I guess my concern would be with long range lethal results of the two on Elk sized game. Would the lighter bullet of the .300 have any advantage or disadvantage? How about accuracy between the two? Ability to penetrate wind better? Barrel life? Bullet availability? It seems I have more choice in the 30 caliber, as far as bullets are concerned, but then again, the Seierra Match King was always a favorite of mine.

I have spent the past 12 or so years hunting with a bow, and have not paid much attention to the goings on in the gun world since I started shooting a bow, as well as forget most of what I had learned from my Father while growing up. I have had a change of heart after this last hunting sason, not to mention the one before, and having to watch several elk through my binoculars around 700 yards away, and not being able to do anything about it. Terrain and landscape made stalks next to impossible, not to mention a real crap shoot as to weather or not I would even see the animals again. So to save myself a few hours of lung searing, leg burning walking up the side of a mountan just to get to where they were and not have them be in the same county when I got there (this would be last season), all I did was watch and wish I had a rifle.

Thanks in advance to any who can offer a bit of advice. Sorry for such a long, drawn out, post.

Hmm... Resurecting a two year old thread for my first post... Interesting.

gun)

I am interested in the .338 EDGE. favorite of mine.

* snip*

Hmm... Resurrecting a two year old thread for my first post... Interesting.

gun)

And for my first post here..........I'll resurrect it as well . :D

I started to build an Edge last spring , but after gathering a suitable action , I stumbled across a deal on a Shillen fluted Select Match tube in 300 RUM , and so went that route instead. (BTW....I highly recommend JP Enterprise's brake on these RUMs , it's an excellent design )

300rummemorialday.jpg

My long-time friend and smith was the one who steered me away from the 338 RUM , and towards the Edge and told me of Mr. Carlock and his excellent cartridge . The more I read about it , the more impressed I become with it's performance.

I was sold...........but like I said , couldn't pass up on the deal with the Shillen.

Now Im back to square one , and will be in touch with Defensive Edge shortly regarding a barreled action in an Edge.

Thanks to everyone here for a wonderful site and some excellent info.

Briongun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.