.338 Edge

lefty15

One of my buddies sent me a video of a guy shooting a mule deer at 950 yards with a .338 edge.
The bullet was a .300gr Sierra matchking. The guy on the video said that the bullet would drop 213" at 950 yards. That is 17.75' of drop. Does this seem right to you guys?

Actualy....no.....It isn't. He might have had to dial up enough elevation to zero him at 950 from a 100 yard zero, but the actual DROP from the muzzle would be around 250 inches based on 2500 ft ele @ 60 degrees F @ 2875 fps. The bullet would drop 213 from his 100 yard zero. Alot of you guys zero at 100 yards and start your dialups from there. I personaly use 300 yards as my starting zero.

That would be the difference between bullet drop and bullet path.

Am I splitting hairs.......YEP.......I am.:D

Unless he is shooting the 300 SMK at 3100 FPS out of an Edge, or shooting at standard Edge velocitys, but at about 18,000 feet elevation at an air temp of 130 degrees..... Then yep....that sounds about right.

Last edited:
Yes, the numers are quite accurate. The deer is infact a whitetail. It has been claimed to be a mule deer, shot by a marine sniper, shot by 50 other people who tried to take credit for it, a fake shot setup with a dead deer and jerked around by a system of ropes and pulleys and more. You just cannot believe how much BS the net can attract. My dad shot his this year from the same spot but to a different location at 1020 yards. I took Kirby hunting there a few years ago. The net is a funny place sometimes, if you do something kind of cool alot of people recognize it for what it is, but a pile of people either want to discredit it ot claim it themselves, go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.