.338 Edge W/30" BBL in HS stock question

BillR

I just picked up a new .300 RUM Sendero II to build a .338 Edge with. 1st Reason? I got it cheap. 2nd reason is Because most everything is ready to go already. Bolt face correct and already using the .300 RUM case.
My plan is to have the action face, bolt, lugs all checked for square and square up what is necessary. Add a thicker recoil lug. Install a SS fluted barrel that will finish to 30"s and add a Holland break.
Gunsmith says this will work EXCEPT. My plan was to use the H.S. Precision stock with the original aluminum bedding block and all would be well. Gunsmith say's it won't work with a 30" barrel and a 2" Muzzle break as it is too heavy for the stock. He also said you cannot do this as the action on the Sendero will flex in the area of the magazine and the gun will not shoot worth a hoot. He further says that I will need to have a block soldered into the mag well of the action to prevent this or put an aluminum block under the barrel to support it right ahead of the recoil lug.
I had intended to have a Wyatt's extended magazine put on the gun.
He is a really good gunsmith and I usually do not question him on what he says but it looks to me like the price on the build is going to go up a bunch by doing this and I was planning on keeping the price down as much as I could by going this route.
Is there a way of doing this that I can keep the original extended mag idea or should I just go with his idea of soldering in a block and making it a single shot. And as far as the barrel what is a good method of supporting the barrel with it being a basically 32" length including the MB. Right now it does not make me any difference if its a single shot as this is not going to be a rapid fire rifle and I shoot a couple other guns of mine that way now and am use to it.
What are you other gunsmiths running into as far as problems with a build like this. Don't want to mess it up and I want an accurate long range rifle when I'm finished.

Last edited:
I think it would work just fine especially since many have done it. Just bed the action and about the first 2-3 inches of the barrel. I would just go with a 28 inch barrel though plus brake. IMO a 30 inch barrel is not needed.Alot of guys have built edges on the sendero platform.

You should have your gunsmith give Shawn Carlock a call right away to let him know this won't work. From what I have read Shawn has this same setup and has taken elk out to almost a mile with it.:)
It will work, don't sweat it. Put in the Wyatt box, skim bed the action in the aluminum bedding block and you have a sweet setup.
I had this same setup 2 years ago and sold it to a guy on this site, who proceeded to take a mule deer at 1365 yards with it. 30" barrel on that rifle .

What contour of barrel are you talking? Straight 1.250 blank might be a bit much. I would think if went with the sendero contour but 28" and added a 3 port 1.5" brake you would be fine, fluted even better. A solid bottom would be better but a repeater should still work. You could always use a one piece steel picatinny rail and solder that on for a little more rigidity. I know you said 30" barrel but I don't think you get much velocity from 28-30 in the edge but the 30 will still work.

Its probably going to be a Sendero taper on the barrel. My gunsmith also told me that you cannot skim bed the action as it will flex and break out. Maybe its the type of bedding he is using that causes the problem, I don't know. ....... What is the best type of bedding to use on a build with the aluminum bedding block??? And is there a better taper on the barrel to use than the Sendero taper.

Honestly I may look for a different gunsmith for this build. One who has built something like this before and isn't saying it won't shoot from the get go, because if you tell him to build it anyway and for some reason it doesn't shoot, all your getting is a I told you so.

I have a similar setup, not 338 edge, a 308, with a 28" SS bbl 1.25 to .9" at the muzzle straight taper. Bedded with devcon in an hs precision "psv" series stock and I set an LR f-t/r national record with it, so I'd say it works ok. :D

mine also has the first 2" of barrel beyond the recoil lug bedded.

You need to find another smith.

Go with the 30" barrel, put in the Wyatts and keep it as a repeater.

Skim bed it with Devcon, Marine Tex, or even JB Weld.

I think you need to find a better gunsmith with a clue about building these long range rifles that are a bit larger than a standard sporter. A HS Precision stock and a 30" barrel especially in a Sendero taper will absolutely work, and work well. I'd recommend having the action fully blueprinted, add a Holland recoil lug and have the magazine mortise opened up for the Wyatts MBE3 or CFE9. I personally prefer the looks and function of the Muscle Brake for any timed muzzle brake. The aluminum bedding block acts as pillars, with some minor prep work all the stock needs is a full action bed. Free float the entire barrel back to the recoil lug. I've built several just like this set up with outstanding results.

I have a .223 and a .308 that are built along those same lines :) Love those gun. With the .223 I have made it to 636 yds on PD's using the Nosler BT 50 grain and on the .308 with 175 SMK's I have made it to 898 on PD's. Two of my most favorite guns to shoot. Going to hate it when those barrels go south on me. This Edge build should be no different than those were. I would switch but I trust this guy a lot and he hasn't led me astray in the past but from what I have read the problems he is describing were non existent with some of the other guys builds and I'm trying to figure out why and what they did different.

I had a 338 edge built the same way you talking about and it shoots great. I think you should find another gunsmith.

If you are going to keep your smith, he needs to know that he is being way too conservative.

He has a lot to learn. Maybe you can teach him something or show him where to get the information.

I understand wanting to stick with "your guy" but if he's doesn't believe in the quality of the build spec then it won't be a quality build. Your not really asking for anything cutting EDGE...haha, sorry. For what the work cost to get done you shouldn't really have to talk a smith into doing something you want. There is nothing wrong with getting someone that specializes in your planed project. I would expect Dave, Kirby, Shawn or any of these guys to build a better LRH rifle than Heinie but if I was looking for a tricked out 1911 I would probably call Heinie or that crowd.

We had a talk and I think he is being open minded about the build and is looking hard at my suggestions and requests on what I want done. I don't think its going to be a problem. One thing about it, he is a perfectionist and if he does not know he will find out on how to do it. He has been doing this for over 25 years so he is no newcomer to the game. And there might be some small truth to what he says. I do know that what is a small thing to me can at times be a huge deal to him.
Yup Gear-grinder, he is very conservative.

One question we both had though. When you skim bed the action does this pretty much stop any action flexing? Or is the action flexing a non issue. I think the Wyatt's magazine box is the part that is making him nervous after visiting with him again.

Call Shawn Carlock. He built me exactly what you are requesting on a Sendero platform (he has built a ton like that) and it is an awesome shooter. As others have said, find another gunsmith.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.