338 edge mag boxes internal

robert l

Does any one know if there is other mag boxes out there? Wyatts has only 3.825 inch or the 4.000 inch box. Nothing in between.I need a box around 3.950. That would work perfect. I have talked to wyatts and d.e. and a bunch of others.I have a borden timberline action and the problem with it is to cut the ejection port back the quarter inch needed. it will take out the front screw hole for the scope mount. As you can hear im in a bit of a pickle. A dill one at that. So if any one has a idea of how to fix this thing. please let me know. Thanks a bunch, Robert L Garringer. gun)

How long is the load port in the bottom of the action?

Why are you needing to make the top of the ejection port longer?

The bottom load port is 3.915. But i can open it up to 3.970. With no problem. Ok the second question if you use a wyatt #9 box which is 4.000.you have to open up the bottom prt and move the bolt stop back .once you do that you have to cut the ejection port back a quarter inch so the case will eject. gun)

Have you actually checked that ejection part? The case doesn't eject straight out, it tips sideways. You may not have to remove that much. A bevel on the inside of the receiver will make a lot of room.

Another option, If you have room to cut the bottom for the 4.00" box, You can put a .050" shim on the inside of the box. Those Wyatt boxes need to be welded on the rear anyway. You could put a steel shim inside it when you weld it and make it look like it belonged there.

Just notch it where the round ejects, no need to take the top off.
And change out the scope rail screws to #8 while you have it apart.

Attachments

• stillerpredatorx350a.jpg
    stillerpredatorx350a.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 133
The picture was for a reference to show how you can notch the action to eject the round rather than milling the whole receiver bridge. You wouldn't need to move the top of the receiver back to eject a case, only the side where the case actually ejects. That leaves the top bridge, and your scope mounting hole, totally intact.

When a longer box is installed the bolt stop is modified to allow the bolt to come back more allowing a full 3.98" round to eject. The 4" box is not 4" on the inside. No need to be whittling on either bridge.

This simple stuff. Where is the gunsmith? This is what we do. All the owner should be worried about is finding animals to shoot.

Ok sorry about that . I think im going to use the wyatt number 12 box and that one will hold a little more than 3.850.And i will hand feed any thing longer than that.So i will try that and see how it works.But next time i will go back to stiller the predator has all most a 400 inch opening on the intake port and the bolt stop is further back allso.So the predator is better suited for the 338 edge. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.