338 edge ladder load

Brambles

Here is a target I shot today with my 338 edge thatI just got back from having the throat shortened and longer mag box installed to eliminate the excessive jump to the lands I had before @ .307"

300gr berger
H1000
Federal brass
Fed 215 primer
COAL .020 off lands 3.945"

Barrel after re-throating is now 27 5/8"

89-93 gr in .3ish gr increments.

bolt lift was still smooth at 93 but there as a very faint ejector mark, not shiney and just barely noticeable.

Chrony is a blue beta shooting chrony

This was shot at 200 yards, I wanted to do it at 300 but our 300 yard backstop was down for rebuilding. Anything over 300 has to be done in the bush.

I have a few other brands of primers to use and will experiment with seating depths but not sure which steps to take first.

Looks like the gun wants to shoot and appears to be 3 different accuracy nodes showing up. Should I push it past 93 gr in hopes of hitting a higher node or should I be happy with 2760 fps. Seems like a lot of charges chrony'd in that 2760 range and took a while befor it made the jump to 2800!!

Advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Brambles

Also this is the first time shooting in many many months waiting for this rifle to get back to me and my technique was probably a bit rusty.

I did almost the same test with my edge with the same results. My top load was 92 and my accuracy load was 91.5 @ .010 off the lands. This gave me 2870 with no pressure, and 1" groups at 200. After 150 rounds tho I ended up with a carbon slicked barred and getting pierced primers even at 88 gr. I talked to Greg at Gre-Tan rise and fixed the problem. I moved the depth to .015 off, 89.5, and 2820fps. Every load from 89-91.5 went into less then 1" at 300.

Since this is your first few rounds out of the barrel I would continue to break the barrel in. Shoot it again now you know how it feels. With the barrel broken in and a good feel for the rifle, it will give you better results. And if at all possible shoot it more than 200.

Mike

Well I can't hardly believe it's been over 2 years since I've played with my 338 edge.
After the ladder load the rifle has just sat in the cabinet while the other kids came out to play and I concentrated on other projects.

I think part of the problem was the terrible inconsistency I was experiencing before I sent the rifle back to the builder. I was afraid it just wasn't gonna settle down and putting it off seemed easier than dealing with it.

So now, over 2 years later I decided to pick a load and shoot it, so I chose 89.5gr of H1000.
I loaded 3 each at
And 6 touching the lands.

Shot at 100 yards prone on my sled with no weight.

.100 was little less than 1.5" group but looked good
.080 was a touch smaller
.065 was a bit smaller
.050 was a considerable improvement and well below moa
The trend continued

I got to the first set of touching the lands and I'm getting happy
I set the chrony 15' out on the last string and recorded
2804, 2774, 2778
Gonna try and attach the two groups @ the lands

Best one measured .218" center to center.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 88
This is the pretty group.....nice thing is the consistency I was hoping for seems to be there and then some.

All the groups pretty much printed in the exact same spot, but the just got much smaller.

I just loaded up a bunch more rounds and first thing is to set my 100 yd zero, after which I can start to stretch its legs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 55
I must be particular because at 100, I like to see one 'getting bigger' hole. Then and only then do I go out to 200 and I don't even bother with zeroing my scope I don't care if the group is to the right or left, high or low, it's the group that matters.

I look at kill zones on game as well. Bug holes are nice but really unnecessary unless shooting paper.

Nice thing here is it's my range so no downtime unless it's my downtime....:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.