338 EDGE is here!!!

remingtonman_25_06

My dad and I"s 338 EDGE has arrived. I got an e=mail from Shawn saying it was done and to come pick it up. We picked it up about a week ago. We built it off a REM 700 LSS that was originally a 300 RUM. Shawn installed a 28" Hart stainless fluted sendero contour w/brake. We kept the LSS stock due to funds. Original trigger worked down to a crisp 1.75# that breaks like glass. We have a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR scope on top. We also have the cosine angle indicator for canyon shots and a bubble level. With harris bi-pod sling, ammo, and all, it probly weighs close to 12.5-13 lbs. We also purchased the Swaro 1500 to take full advantage of this rifle, our Nikon 800's just wont cut it anymore.

I've only shot it a few times to get an idea of how it feels/kicks. It does move me around more then I thought it would, but 300g SMK"s at 2800fps will do that to you!! We have to get a 44" dewey cleaning rod which should be here real soon before I start load testing.

I have pics, but like I said, on a freinds computer thats kinda slow so I"ll try and get them up later. NOthing real fancy, but it should still be 1000 yard elk/black bear killer with little trouble.

Just thought I'd let you guys know there is another satisfied 338 EDGE owner and SHawn Carlock builds one hell of a rifle.

Thanks once again Shawn. You will continue to have my business.

Yes, yes !!! Be prepared to be impressed. They sure are one hell of a gun !

I am kind of suprised that the gun is pushing you around with recoil ? Did you put a breal on it like most do ? My gun kicks about as much as a light 243 and weighs less than yours. The DE brake is top line for taming a big gun.

Keep us all posted on how it flys !

Cheers

DUH

Yes we had the DE brake installed, but when you only weigh 140 lbs (soak and wet) yes it still moves me around more then I thought. Not to say it kicks, but I know its more then a .243 level. I would say its about a 270/30-06 level still. I'll definately try and get some pics up of it tomorrow.

Still waiting on the dewey rod. I have a few test loads loaded up ready to fire. Rem brass, CCI 250, 300g SMK, 92 and 93g of H-1000 are due up for testing as soon as the rod gets here. I loaded up the first few at 92g just to get an idea. Havent even shot a group yet, just got it on paper and shot a few rocks at 300 yards. Sure does have one hell of a WHOP!

Will surely let everyone know how it does at distance. The farthest place I have right now is 1150 yards, but you can bet I"ll be seeing how it does at that distance very very soon, with results to follow.

Yes we had the DE brake installed, but when you only weigh 140 lbs (soak and wet) yes it still moves me around more then I thought. Not to say it kicks, but I know its more then a .243 level. I would say its about a 270/30-06 level still. I'll definately try and get some pics up of it tomorrow.

Still waiting on the dewey rod. I have a few test loads loaded up ready to fire. Rem brass, CCI 250, 300g SMK, 92 and 93g of H-1000 are due up for testing as soon as the rod gets here. I loaded up the first few at 92g just to get an idea. Havent even shot a group yet, just got it on paper and shot a few rocks at 300 yards. Sure does have one hell of a WHOP!

Will surely let everyone know how it does at distance. The farthest place I have right now is 1150 yards, but you can bet I"ll be seeing how it does at that distance very very soon, with results to follow.

G'day mate !

I'm shooting the pet 92 gr H 1000 combo and it shoots pinholes from my gun. I don't think I'll even bother trying to push it harder with the way it shoots now.

I would be interested in finding out how it performed velocity wise from 92- 93 grns and if the accuracy was any better or worse with either ? I can see that at 92 grns there is room for more powder but consistant accuracy is more important to me than 30 fps more .

It will be honestly scary how accurate that rifle will be.

DUH

Sounds great, can't wait to see some pics and hear how it shoots over 1000yds! I'm hopping a brake on a 338 Lapua I'm getting together will recoil about like a 30-06. I weigh 215lbs. so I'm not expecting to get pushed around too much.

Heres a few pics of the 338 EDGE

xe1m6h.jpg

sq147q.jpg

2wp3xuc.jpg

rqytlx.jpg

I was wondering if 2900 fps is do-able for 300 grain SMK on a 30" 9.4 twist Rock barrel. I'm waiting for the action on my rifle and I can't decide between the Edge or the Lapua.

Looks great. Can feel the excitement over the net. What barrel contour did you go with?

Will definately have to get together and do some shooting! I definately need the LR practice in canyons. I have 9 points for elk, my fingers are crossed for a Mt Emily bull tag this year or next.

We went with a #7 fluted. I think its really close to what the Sendero contour is.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.