338 Edge bullet for elk

LT ,you might want to read this thread if you already haven't...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ullets-terminal-performance-67985/index2.html

In seating the CE bullets, Dan siad they like about a .020-.030 jump to the lands. Now here's the deal... The Seal Tite Band might engage the lands before the forward driving band, depending on the shape of your throat. Dan said, the best thing was to blacken the whole Seal Band/Driving Band/ Bore Rider and put it in a neck that was tight enough to hold the bullet but loose enough to push the bullet in and out by hand with a little force and chamber it. Then look for the lands marks and set the seater to seat the bullets for the jump. I would give him a call. He'll be real helpful. He want's his bullets to work well.

Last edited:
We've been testing the CE 338's for a while now, in our versions of the 338/408 we call the 338 Lunatic, and the 338/416 imp we call the 338 Thor. The 252's in both configurations have proved equally as accurate as the 300gn SMK's, and have no trouble shooting half MOA beyond 1000 yards. We are pushing them at 3550fps out of the Lunatic, and 3450fps out of the Thor. The Max version comes out at .72 G1 BC, and the MaxAgg comes out at .74. We've only shot one animal with them so far, a Himalayan Bull Tahr at 500 odd yards, and the 252 certainly exited and disappeared into the mountain side behind. I've been promising Dan we'd do a lot more long range terminal testing with these bullets on large deer like our Red stags, but seemed to have got side tracked on other projects. We will get back onto them very soon as the rut is nearly over and its time for long range again.
Dan has been extremely good to deal with, and his BC predictions have been almost bang on. They certainly produce the velocity and the accuracy, now we just need to confirm their terminal performance. We also tried the 275 gn at 3425 fps, but their performance wasn't as consistent. They also needed our 9" twist 338's to stabilize, no good in a 10".
In the likes of the Edge etc, I think these 252's will be superb as long as their terminal performance is good, due to the really high velocity you can get them out at. We've just built a 28" barreled lightweight walkabout 8 lb all up including scope 338 Thor that I think the 252's will be ideal for, to keep the recoil down compared with the 300gn SMK's. We'll still get almost 3400 fps out of the 28" barrel, and that is pretty impressive ballistics out of such a light rifle!
Greg

Thanks NZLongranger, That is great info. I am ordering some of these to test in my 338's in 225 and 252 grains. The 225 grain Rocky mountain bullets were hard to get just right because of the short bearing surface to get the big bc numbers. But they are great in the rifles that were able to shoot them well. Thanks again for your info.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.