338 Allen Magnums first chuck hunt, a bit of success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BJlooper,

Please, I am no ones hero, same as you, just a shooter with a big black rifle!!!

Black Sunshine will be right at 60 lbs when the IOR 9-36 is on the rail base.

The main advantages to this heavy of a rifle is that for one, the weight eliminates the need for a brake. This rifle, with the 40" long barrel has VERY little muzzle blast as it sits now. Even ripping a 300 gr pill out at 3500 fps. I would say its quieter or has less muzzle blast then my 26" 25-06. Now that is from the shooters perspective. Not sure about if your off to the side.

Second, the weight gives the rifle stability in the bags. When you set a conventional 15 to 20 lb rifle in the bags, one can make rifle adjustments easily with just a turn of the wrist such as to level the scope level or such.

With this rifle, you have to literally grab the grip of the rifle and manhandle it to get the bubble in the scope level to shift to center. Once she is set, SHE DOES NOT MOVE.

The wind can even push around lighter rifles, NOT THIS ONE. Once she is in the bags and set up where you want her, she STAYS THERE until you forcefully have to move her.

The stability in the bags is unreal and hard to explain unless you have shot a rifle this heavy.

There are however some downsides, mainly, it is a real pain to move this rifle around. In its hard case your looking at 85 lbs of weight you have to pack around to load into the truck and unload when you get to the range. Then setting a 60 lb rifle up on the bench is another trial. Ya just do not grab a 60 lb rifle and throw it on the bags, well at least I don't and I am 6'3" and 200 lbs and in pretty good shape and it makes me feel pretty small at times.

I designed the rifle first and formost for consistancy and reach. But also as a promotional rifle with some shock appeal for advertising purposes as I am in this to make a living.

In all honesty, a 25 to 40 lb rifle with a properly designed brake would be a much easier rifle to use and nearly just as consistant I would guess.

We will see how Shawn C. and my sub 16 lb 338 AMs do. Black Sunshine makes me feel like a boy moving her around. The lightweight version may make me feel like a boy under its recoil and blast, we will see.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ballistic64,

I have submitted a few articles to VHA but never have had them published. If you know someone that regularly gets published in the mag let me know and I would love to work up an article with all the details as far as the design of the round, rifle and all the performance details.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Talk about making me feel good about our decision on our gun!!!!! Only problem is now it looks like you may set the record before me and BJ ever get the gun!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is awesome Kirby, congrats buddy that is truly awesome!!!!

steve

Absolutely amazing!!!!!

It was a great story, but I think I nodded off a couple of times while reading it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Now go stretch the legs on that thing and get yourself a 2500 yd kill!!!

Kirby

That is outstanding totally AWESOME!!! I hope I can do something like with mine when you get it done. Again you're the man great shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Larry

Re: 338 Allen Magnums first chuck hunt, a bit of success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very happy for you bud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Wished I could have been there spotting and watched the show.
It will be something you will never forget.
You are just going to have to find someway to come to CO in 07 and bring an XP and make you first pd kills beyond 1,000, 1500 or even 2k.
If not just let me borrow your rangefinder for the week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I know I am going for just over 2k with the Dakota.
Just rebarrel your 338WSM to the dakota and you will be ready to go!

Looks like I may be the last one to say it but CONGRATULATIONS on a truely great shot.

**WAY TO GO FIFTY**

Come on Kirby, now 2300+ ought to be worth at least a grin. If I had just done that I'd be walking around with a smile so big you could see my back teeth for a week. Great shot by a nice guy that knows his way around a machine shop. Good job.

I bet that rig, in those couple shots alone, will pay itself off in no time from the propaganda you will receive from this amazing feat.

I can hardly wait to see Larry's 338AM.
Shawn

Congrats Kirby! Thats a hell of shot! I love the looks of that rifle too.

Kirby,
When I saw my 15 years old hit that big rock at 1385 yards I was just screaming, yelling and carrying on... Do you think my heart would have taken it to watch you hit that small target at 2370 yards? I think I need to get in better shape just to be able to deal with the emontions!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good Shooting my friend!!!
Buen Tiro mi Amigo!!!

You need to find some chucks at around 10000 feet where your bullets dont want to come back to earth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Nice shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.