338-378 WBY Mag

Iron Worker

It's been suggested I shoot 160gr Barns TTSX bullets out of this rifle. He gets 3700 FPS out of his 338 Lupua with precision accuracy . Won't this bullet with 120grs of powder burn up my bbl quicker ? I'm not going to hunt with this,just long range steel .

it will definitely cause throat erosion faster. I have to question the bullet sellection for long range if not hunting. The TTSX it'self is a good hunting bullet but I run that grain bullet in my 30-378. That weight bullet in a 338 is gonna have a low BC and there are better bullets for long range shooting.

you would do some wicked damage to a coyote at 3-500 at those velocities I think. I am running a 275 grain Rocky Mountain bullet with 107 grains of Retumbo at 3056, with new brass, and according to Ballistic AE it stays supersonic out to 1900 meters. ES with this load is 11 FPS without bushing dies. And if I remember correctly Strelok Pro gives similar projections to Ballistic AE. If I remember correctly you have a 27" barrel? I went all the way up to 109 grains of Retumbo before I saw pressure signs and I think I had 3125 or so with the 29" heavy barrel that Joel Russo put on it (have to check the Magnetospeed). So you may be able to go a bit past 107 and get to at least 3000 with a 275 grain RMB, depending on how your barrel. I have not had the opportunity to take this load out past 700 meters yet.

I agree with turkn8r1, I think those velocities will wear out your barrel faster and you won't get spectacular results at long range with its low BC.

At what range does your friend and his .338 LM get precision accuracy with that bullet weight?

you would do some wicked damage to a coyote at 3-500 at those velocities I think. I am running a 275 grain Rocky Mountain bullet with 107 grains of Retumbo at 3056, with new brass, and according to Ballistic AE it stays supersonic out to 1900 meters. ES with this load is 11 FPS without bushing dies. And if I remember correctly Strelok Pro gives similar projections to Ballistic AE. If I remember correctly you have a 27" barrel? I went all the way up to 109 grains of Retumbo before I saw pressure signs and I think I had 3125 or so with the 29" heavy barrel that Joel Russo put on it (have to check the Magnetospeed). So you may be able to go a bit past 107 and get to at least 3000 with a 275 grain RMB, depending on how your barrel. I have not had the opportunity to take this load out past 700 meters yet.

I agree with turkn8r1, I think those velocities will wear out your barrel faster and you won't get spectacular results at long range with its low BC.

At what range does your friend and his .338 LM get precision accuracy with that bullet weight?
That's a good question about friends 338 LM ?. My bbl is the 26" WBY Factory bbl. Should I get better dies than standard RCBS dies ? They came with the rifle . I bought 50 Barns bullets on sale for $29 bucks .

At least get a Redding seater die with a VLD seating stem. I don't know of anyone that makes a bushing sizer die for 338-378. I use the RCBS to size with. It is a pain to get it to set back .001-.004 but doable. If you send CH4D 3 fired cases they can make you a custom sizing die. Sets the shoulder back just far enough. I used to cam over with the sizing die. Horrible for brass life, great for my load. I found now that after setting the shoulder back .001 my velocity changed, so I have to redo the load for fired brass. But you may get different results with your barrel.

Just logged on to that web site. If I send them 3 fired cases,they'll know what I need and make a superior die ? I set my RCBS sizing die up per directions . 1/8 of a turn past top of ram,your saying that's not enough ?...... Those Rocky Mountain bullets, can you buy just a hundred of them some place ?

They are not cheap but I have found them to be a superb bullet. Take a look on the internet at their terminal performance on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.