338-300 RUM

cisco12

I am new to this forum even though I have been reading it for some time. I reciently had my custom 300 wby built on a sako long action stolen while on a hunting trip to Quebec. I am considering replacing it with either a weatherby 338-378 accurmark or building one out of a 700 ss sendaro action in the 338-300 RUM. I have considered price of brass and so forth but nowhere have I been able to find any loading data for the 338-300 to see how close it comes to the 338-378 wby. Can anyone supply me with some loads for this caliber which can help me make my decision? Also I would like to know if these cases can be formed from both the 300 RUM and 375 RUM. Using the 300 RUM will result on a thinner case neck where as if 375 RUM brass were necked down to 338 this would result in a thicker walled neck. Any information will be appreciated.

I got a 338-378imp. I get about 3-4 loadings a case. with the powder I am using I am getting about 2750-2800 fps with a 300smk. I could go faster with a different kind of powder but I had alot of 50bmg laying around dieing to be burn't up. I would go with a 338am if I was to get another big 338.

I would use the search function for the 338 Edge (a 338/300 RUM). There is a ton of information on this site for that cartridge and the originator of this cartridge (Shawn Carlock) posts on here fairly often.

There is a really good thread in the reloading section on the 338 edge and there is a post in the equipment section that is volumes long with all the info you want and a bunch you probably don't need. If you cannot find them drop me a line and I'll get you all the info I have on loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.