.338/300 lapua imp velocities

wildchild

Im considering a 300 lapua improved build for long range hunting, reason is I have a 338 lapua imp reamer and die reamer I can send and have adjusted and have lots of fire formed brass just needing necked down, with all the new 30 cal options and crazy ballistics circling these bullets why not??
So does anyone here have this type of set up already and were does it land in velocity?? Im thinking the 215 hybrid would be bullet of choice but I guess the barrel will decide in the end.
3100, 3200 or 3300fps ?

Do it. Are you planning on loading to the pressure level of the 300 lapua or the 338 lapua? I still do not know why the pressure rating are different. I am loading tot he 300 lapua range with no problems.

You should talk to Kirby Allen apsrifles, thats what his 300AX is and he's done all the hard work, got the whole system lined out. His screen name on here is fiftydriver.

Do it. Are you planning on loading to the pressure level of the 300 lapua or the 338 lapua? I still do not know why the pressure rating are different. I am loading tot he 300 lapua range with no problems.

Guess ill load till my primers get loose than back off...:D:D:D

Guess ill load till my primers get loose than back off...:D:D:D

That is the problem with lapua brass by the time you loosen primers you are way over pressure :) Best estimate in a 29 inch barrel I am running 230s at 3170, but it is only confirmed by drops out to 1400 yards. I just have not hassled with setting up the chronograph. yet. If there is such a thing as inherit accuracy I think this case has it. The three that I have built have all been extremely accurate and easy to load for using 210 bergers 190 bergers and 230 OTMS.

Try VV 570 with some 230gr bergers. I shot an oryx a couple months ago with that combo. I am not sure which was louder the smak of the bullet hitting the oryx or the oryx hitting the ground. Only 171 yards on the oryx, damage was pretty substantial.

I may break down and put a brake on mine in case anyone recoil shy wants to shoot an elk with it. I am going to be a part of eleven elk hunts later in the year. Should be a good chance to see how the bullet works at longer ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.