338-06AI project specs?

mattri

Looking at building a 338-06-AI off of a Savage long action platform.

Rifle will be used for paper, deer and elk out to a reasonable range- 600 yards should be doable.

Barrel: Shilen, Krieger, McGowen, CBI, others?

Twist? 1:10 seems standard, any reason to go with something else?

Length? Would like to keep this a light, quick handling rifle, 24" would be ideal, is that realistic re muzzle velocities?

Contour? Obviously related to above. Want a barrel that is quick and light yet stiff and stable.

Bullet/powder?

R17 does well in my current 338-06, what else to look at?

Looking at building a 338-06-AI off of a Savage long action platform.

Rifle will be used for paper, deer and elk out to a reasonable range- 600 yards should be doable.

Barrel: Shilen, Krieger, McGowen, CBI, others?

Twist? 1:10 seems standard, any reason to go with something else?

Length? Would like to keep this a light, quick handling rifle, 24" would be ideal, is that realistic re muzzle velocities?

Contour? Obviously related to above. Want a barrel that is quick and light yet stiff and stable.

Bullet/powder?

R17 does well in my current 338-06, what else to look at?

I have a 338-06AI under construction. My research indicates that 600 yards should be easily doable (much longer than that with the right bullets).

My rifle will have a 26" #3 Shilen, 10 twist. Given the bore diameter, I don't think I would want a lighter contour than that. There isn't enough case capacity to push the bullets that would justify a faster twist. Go with whatever barrel maker suits your fancy, budget, and timeline. A 24" barrel should give up very little to a 26" barrel with this cartridge.

I would stay with RL-17 if it works well in your new rifle. It looks to me to be the ideal powder for the 338-06 and AI version and is the powder I plan to start with.

Though I intend to mess around some with 250 grain bullets, I expect the ideal range of bullet weights to be 185 grains to 225 grains. Pick your bc, how fast you want to go, what kind of terminal performance you want, and how much you want to pay for your bullets. I am particularly interested in trying the Cutting Edge MTH bullets in 200 grain and 225 grain. The extra speed potential and high bc's of these bullets offer some intriguing possibilities, though both bullets would probably have to be single fed.

Though I intend to mess around some with 250 grain bullets, I expect the ideal range of bullet weights to be 185 grains to 225 grains. Pick your bc, how fast you want to go, what kind of terminal performance you want, and how much you want to pay for your bullets. I am particularly interested in trying the Cutting Edge MTH bullets in 200 grain and 225 grain. The extra speed potential and high bc's of these bullets offer some intriguing possibilities, though both bullets would probably have to be single fed.

Cutting Edge has revised their bullet offerings recently, which is causing me to re-think my plans for their bullets. The latest 200 grain MTH is set up for an OAL that will feed from the mag and the bc has been revised upward slightly. Their latest 252 grain MTH will be strictly a single feed proposition, but I think I can push it fast enough to extend my effective range considerably. Next to the other two bullets, the 225 MTH doesn't look as appealing as it did before.

Thanks for the reply. Would like to stick with a 24" for handling.

A 24" barrel should work very well in 338-06AI. I don't think you will lose much in the way of performance vs a 26+" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts