338-06 loading

Sikadog

I am building a 338-06 on a weatherby mk v action as 338-06 ammunition is not available in the UK where I am do you think a Lee factory crimp die will make my homeloads more accurate thanks in advance.

crimping is bad for accuracy for the most part. Some revolver loads need crimp to get the powder lit uniformly, but for rifles I'f say no crimp.

I've dabbled with the Factory Crimp a little. So far I haven't seen any significant increase in accuracy. I use a light crimp for heavier recoiling rifles as bullets can take a beating in the magazine box. A friend of mine has a couple 338-06 and loves them.

You won't get near as much bang for the buck out of a crimp die as you will a concentricity gage. I've found (as have many thousands of others) reducing runout as much as possible aids in accurate loads. The only rifle cartridge I crimp is 45-70 because it is in a tubular magazine. None of the 6 bottle neck cases I load get a crimp. I experimented with my 223 and found a taper crimp to add some value to my reloads but not enough to recommend it as standard practice. I am not a fan of gimmics or using tools to straighten ammo once it has been loaded. Some are but I'm not. To me that is analagous to putting a bandaid on an arterial wound. Not the right thing to do.

Having said that, what dies are you using to form/resize your cases?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.