330 Dakota

Davejo

I have a Savage 7mag, bolt action. I want to ream it or rebore, Not sure of correct nomenclature. To a 330 Dakota. Been told this can be done but not sure of all that needs to be done , Does anyone know exactly what all needs to be donelightbulb

I have a Savage 7mag, bolt action. I want to ream it or rebore, Not sure of correct nomenclature. To a 330 Dakota. Been told this can be done but not sure of all that needs to be done , Does anyone know exactly what all needs to be donelightbulb
Neither of the terms you used are correct. You have a 7mm bore, a 330 Dakota is a 338 caliber. I'm sure there is some one out there, who could rebore your barrel but I cant see how it would be worth it on a savage.

Just go to pac nor's web page and order a prefit, pre chambered or short chambered barrel in 338 Dakota and be done with it. Find a good gunsmith to change it for you. I would suggest one of the gunsmiths here on the site. Kevin Cram could do it.

You will not need a new bolt as they have the same bolt face. Make sure you give a lot of thought to barrel weight and length.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.