330 Dakota

79m1a-texas

Purchased a 1977 Browning A-Bolt have was re-barreled in 330 Dakota. Secured original brass manufactured for Dakota Ammo by Mast. Got Redding dies and also headspace gage from Competitor Corp. Ran the brass thru the sizing die and noticed that the die is not sizing the bottom 0.150" of the brass. Brass is not chambering and not allowing the bolt handle to close. The brass does not totally slide into the case gage. The case is measuring the dimensions as shown on www.ballisticstudies.com.

What should be my next step?

Purchased a 1977 Browning A-Bolt have was re-barreled in 330 Dakota. Secured original brass manufactured for Dakota Ammo by Mast. Got Redding dies and also headspace gage from Competitor Corp. Ran the brass thru the sizing die and noticed that the die is not sizing the bottom 0.150" of the brass. Brass is not chambering and not allowing the bolt handle to close. The brass does not totally slide into the case gage. The case is measuring the dimensions as shown on www.ballisticstudies.com.

What should be my next step?

You will probably need to get a set of custom dies made or have a new reamer cut to the dimensions of your dies.

Some chambers are not cut to specifications due to the wear on old reamers or they were not cut to the correct dimensions. The same goes for dies.

Make a good chamber cast and get it to a Custom die maker and have him make you a new set of dies. That would be the cheapest way to fix the problem and tell you what problems, if any the chamber has.

If you could load and fire form 2 or 3 pieces of brass for the die maker, that would be the best.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that the chamber was cut with a roughing reamer
(I have seen this on several occasions)

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts