.320 to 0.015 Off the Lands Remington 700

General RE LEE

My Sendero if I choose to load where I can utilize the magazine is .320 from 0.015 off the lands measuring COAL.

Does this seem like an excessively long throat? Rifle is a factory 7mm STW. I measure CBTO but COAL matters for magazine compatibility with my reloads.

Hornady Precision Hunter 162 grain ELD-X shoots MOA at 100 yards with SAAMI spec COAL measurements. I'm wondering if I will be hampered by the excessive jump for reloads.

What's the jump on the Hornadys? Asking because I haven't loaded the round, so I don't know what a reasonable jump is for it in particular. My 210 VLDs have a 0.230" jump, but yours is longer than any I have measured in other chamberings.

I don't measure all of them though. To get a difference perspective on it maybe try looking at it from the side of how much the bullet is into the neck?

Might be a bad example because it's very dissimilar, but for light varmint bullets in 243 Win I don't bother myself with where the bullet is in relation to the lands, but rather how much of the bullet is in the neck. I'll test seating depths from ~100% (if I can even get that deep) to 80% to see if any of those work before going out as little as 50% in the neck, but that's a hard end to the test if I even make it that far out. None of these loads get within 0.100" of the max cartridge length and some have to be jumping 0.200-0.300" because the bullets are so short.

The VLDs are so long relative to the start of the bearing surface check how much is in the neck. If you're only at 30% to touch the lands, what's a bigger issue? Jump, or the bullet barely being in the neck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.