.30cal 178/168gr Amax for deer?

G

seems i have used all my actions for bigger and better guns. now all it seem to be left with for a deer gun is my HB .308 . shots wont be taken over 400yds this year. wanted to know if i can expect good preformance out of the amax bullet on deer. thanks

deergrunt

I have a 308 win in a Remington 700. I use a 155 grain A-max with 45 grains of Varget.

All I can say is sharpen up your gutting knife and fire up the grill!!

TroyR

My Rem 700 will be using the Nosler BT "Spitzer" 165 Gr. GreenTip for deer.
42.5 Gr Varget

Troy

G

thanks for the info, i guess the 168/178gr amax will preform just as good if not better than the 155gr. thanks

jb1000br

Official LRH Sponsor
you can probably get away with the 45 gn varget load with the 178's as well, at least 44 though--the above loads given are very mild. I would push the 168 to 2800 and the 178 to 2700. that can be done safely with a 22" tube and the right powder. Also 42 of benchmark seems alright with a 168smk and 175 berger. The amax should serve you well to 800yds.

42.5 varget with a 165, man that cant be goin too fast - 2500fps maybe?

i just like to get the most velocity out of my 308 i can, since you're starting with so little to begin with.

JMHO

JB

H-BAR

Hey deergrunt I hope you leave me a deer to shoot this year!!! Last year you shot them all!!! The ultra and 178gr Amax awaits!!!

SpencerSS

168Amax, 168VLD, and 168TTSX shoot scary close; the BCs are too close. With those three, there's nothing my little 308 can't handle.

WildRose

seems i have used all my actions for bigger and better guns. now all it seem to be left with for a deer gun is my HB .308 . shots wont be taken over 400yds this year. wanted to know if i can expect good preformance out of the amax bullet on deer. thanks
At those velocities you should get good expansion and weight retention.

Varmint Hunter

One shot - one kill

155gr A-Max, .308 win

[/IMG]

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce