.30cal 178/168gr Amax for deer?

G

seems i have used all my actions for bigger and better guns. now all it seem to be left with for a deer gun is my HB .308 . shots wont be taken over 400yds this year. wanted to know if i can expect good preformance out of the amax bullet on deer. thanks

I have a 308 win in a Remington 700. I use a 155 grain A-max with 45 grains of Varget.

All I can say is sharpen up your gutting knife and fire up the grill!!
grin.gif

thanks for the info, i guess the 168/178gr amax will preform just as good if not better than the 155gr. thanks

you can probably get away with the 45 gn varget load with the 178's as well, at least 44 though--the above loads given are very mild. I would push the 168 to 2800 and the 178 to 2700. that can be done safely with a 22" tube and the right powder. Also 42 of benchmark seems alright with a 168smk and 175 berger. The amax should serve you well to 800yds.

42.5 varget with a 165, man that cant be goin too fast - 2500fps maybe?

i just like to get the most velocity out of my 308 i can, since you're starting with so little to begin with.

JMHO

JB

Hey deergrunt I hope you leave me a deer to shoot this year!!! Last year you shot them all!!! The ultra and 178gr Amax awaits!!!

168Amax, 168VLD, and 168TTSX shoot scary close; the BCs are too close. With those three, there's nothing my little 308 can't handle.

seems i have used all my actions for bigger and better guns. now all it seem to be left with for a deer gun is my HB .308 . shots wont be taken over 400yds this year. wanted to know if i can expect good preformance out of the amax bullet on deer. thanks
At those velocities you should get good expansion and weight retention.

One shot - one kill

155gr A-Max, .308 win
Occoneechee_Lodge_2010_009.jpg

Occoneechee_Lodge_2010_009.jpg
[/IMG]

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.