callmaster64

New to the rifle game im looking for a long range coyote weapon and wanted to know the cal. difference i have heard 308 winchester, 308 rem. and 308 win mag. What is the difference if any please explain. Sorry for the stupid question. Any help would be appreciated.

Never heard of 308 Win Mag or 308 Rem. There's a 300 Win Mag, which is a step up in power from 308 Win. Not sure what 308 Rem could be. They might mean "a Remington rifle chambered in 308 Win."

For a starter, it's hard to beat a 308 Win (or a .223 for even cheaper and lower-recoil practice).

308 norma mag is a good one. why are you looking at these calibers for coyote?. i have killed a lot and 243 is bettter.

Will the 243 distance wise out shoot the 308? What exactly are you shooting and ammo. Curious.

The .243 is going to shoot flatter. You can get higher BC bullets for the .243 that will buck the wind better. The .308 will have more down range power than the .243, but whole lot more wind deflection and drop the farther out you go. With that said, I love the .308.

Tank

The .243 is going to shoot flatter. You can get higher BC bullets for the .243 that will buck the wind better. The .308 will have more down range power than the .243, but whole lot more wind deflection and drop the farther out you go. With that said, I love the .308.

Tank
-----------

What round?

.308 will do all you need it to. You really can't compare the 2 because of weight difference in bullets and diameter. For coyote's, I would choose the .243. One better would be the 6XC. You get the same performance as the .243 w/ less powder. It will also be easier on barrels than the .243. The nice thing with either is there ability to shoot 105-115 grain bullets really well. Heck both would be good whitetail rounds to 800yds with good shot placement.

I like the .308, but it has it's limitations and need to be considered. For a strict coyote rifle, the .243 will be the better of the two options.

Tank

Will the 243 distance wise out shoot the 308? What exactly are you shooting and ammo. Curious.

CALL - i shoot them with some of different ones- sako .243, remington 243 and an HK630. i shoot few of different bullets. 70 grain and 85, 87 , 88. that is due to the twist in my barrels. for longer range a have a 6.5-284 which is more than is needed. DISTANCE WISE- the rifle, ammo and scope are more important than caliber. i do not need the recoil of a 308 to kill coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.