308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor

The .308 suffers from being a Plain Jane thats been around for ever, nothing new to see here. The reason that its still around is its an exceptional deer cartridge for 300 yards and under. Great cartridge for eastern hunting. It shoots cup and core bullets at the velocities they were designed for.

The .308 suffers from being a Plain Jane thats been around for ever, nothing new to see here. The reason that its still around is its an exceptional deer cartridge for 300 yards and under. Great cartridge for eastern hunting. It shoots cup and core bullets at the velocities they were designed for.
It may not be the newest fangled cartridge, and some might call it plain jane, and the reason it is still around and still very popular is because it just plain old works! The reason that it works is because it is so versatile. If I could only have one short action caliber rifle, it would definitely be the 308 Win. There isn't anything in the good old U.S. of A. that I'd be afraid to shoot with it. Winchester definitely did their homework on that one.

I'm debating on 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor for whitetail hunting, maximum range 250 yards; average 75-125 yards. Any real pros going with the 6.5 CM over the 308? I have no plans ever shooting over 500 yards.
I swapped from 30-06 to 6.5 2 years ago. The deer run further and I lost 2. I don't set still and the deer are always moving or soon will be, so my shot placement is not always perfect. If I were a tree stand or a blind hunter would stay with the 6.5. Going back to the 30 cal.

I swapped from 30-06 to 6.5 2 years ago. The deer run further and I lost 2. I don't set still and the deer are always moving or soon will be, so my shot placement is not always perfect. If I were a tree stand or a blind hunter would stay with the 6.5. Going back to the 30 cal.

I know a hunting guide who told me back when the 260s started appearing, that from what he experienced, the 260 just didn't take the game down as well as a 270Win, 308, etc. I was surprised by that but figured it has something to do with the larger diameter bullet, since a 260 will throw a 130 at close to the velocity of a 270. He guides wild pig, deer, and black bear hunts. I don't know if he changed is mind after that; haven't seen him since the 6.5CM became so popular but I'm sure he's seen more than a few by now. Guys here seem to have a lot of experience that suggests the 6.5 will do okay out to 500. But with Barnes I want the impact velocity to be at 2200+.

Last edited:
There is more frontal mass in a .308 than there is in a 6.5. It's all part of the terminal performance equation. I'd expect a .308 bullet of similar construction to incapacitate faster than a 6.5. But will it make a difference, hmmmmmmm........

This is the perspective of an old school guy who has never hunted anything larger than whitetail. I have hunted with .308, 270 Winchester 6.5 Grendel 6mm Remington & most recently 6mm ARC. All of these have been bolt actions. I own a 6.5 Creedmoor & for reasons I can not explain I have had no desire to shoot that rifle.

All of the rifles above would satisfy the Ops criteria. Despite my preferences for 6mm cartridges, Availability of ammo & components may give the 308 an edge. Bottom line they all can & do work well when the nut behind the trigger does their part.

Practice, practice & practice & if less expensive ammo facilitates that & or if less recoil facilitates more practice then do what works for you.

308 for me personally, but I'd be fine with either.

A great unbiased and practical comparison. I've pretty much said the same thing since it's inception. The 6.5 Creedmor doesn't do anything better hunting wise than any of the other cartridges in it's class. Recoil is slightly less, slightly less drop, and slightly less wind drift. At practical hunting distances it is honestly a moot point.

I've hunted for years with a .308 inside of 300 yds with no trouble at all. That being said, I am in the process of building a 6.5 creed. I am interested to see how it will compare on a deer this fall.