.308 win 20" barrel 200gr Accubond load development

Ultra25-06

Been interested in seeing what kind of performance I would get. Havent been able to find much info anywhere with this caliber and bullet combo. I plan to update this as I tinker for anyone interested.

Rifle - Savage 11, .308 win, 20" barrel, accutriger , factory stock, bipod

Scope - Bushnell elite 10x

Brass - OFV (mill surplus)?, only unused .308 I had around, not the best. Only prep work FL size and trim. Plan to try virgin win and lapua in the future when I can get my hands on some.

Bullet - 200gr Nosler Accubond

Primer - Rem mag LR

Powder - IMR 8208 XBR

The load data contained in this forum is intended for use with specific components. Other manufacturers components may not produce equivalent pressure or velocities; therefore, it is recommended that the user be familiar with the basic rules of reloading safety.

todays weather - 32F, 27 dew point, 79 humid, 23mph nw

35.5gr
2158fps
es 66

36gr
2180fps
es 49

36.5gr
2040fps
es 1162

37gr
2266fps
es 93

37.5gr
1941fps
es 149

38gr
2314fps
es 21

38.5gr
2328fps
es 57

39gr
2425fps
es 34

39.5gr
2382fps
es 35

Never had a sticky bolt or supposed pressure signs for any loads.

All 5 shot groups, 100yds, all groups sub moa, will post pics for each load when time allows. Not the best results but I belive the brass is part of my problem flash hole are about as far from uniform as one could imagine and may be crappy brass to begin with.

Im not sure if the es spread is from the wind shaking the chrono or not. Would like to see teens or single digits but this is only the first load development. I need to try good brass, diff primers, etc... I have 3 lbs of Imr 8208 XBR so that will be my powder for the time being.

The drop in velocity from 39gr to 39.5gr has me wondering. Can anyone chime in as to why? I would also like to know approx. pressure if anyone has the software and doesnt mind spending the time.

Untill next time.

I just have 1 question......... Why? LOL

I'm really not trying to sound like a smartass, But I am curious what you would be hunting with it? B/c if you're hunting at long distance, there's alot heavier-hitting calibers for .30 bullets to shoot that 200gr AB in...

LOL Understandable. I was just curious. But I bet for 5-600 yard deer hunting that bastard would thump hard!

The thought had crossed my mind before several times when looking at boxes of them in the store, but I decided against it.

I have been thinking about (just for sh*ts and giggles) loading up some 220gr Bergers for my Rem 700 5R .308. I wonder how the 11.25 twist barrel would handle them... It loves the 168's and 175's.

It should work well walking old skid roads for bear and elk in N Idaho. I would think even with a 20" barrel cracking 2400fps should be achievable. I've seen a couple of loads that made 2500fps. BLc2 being the main one. Good brass is hard to come by these days, another primer powder combo might work. I do a similar thing with the 220's in 30-06. I haven't played with a 308. It seems like the 200 match kings and such were/are popular with the metal silhouette folks. Should be good data out there if you expand your search.

You might to take a look at Reloader - 17. Using it in federal cases getting 2762 with a 180gr
bullet.......Lots of information on snipershide......Sniper's Hide Forums
Lots of information of people shooting it from a 20" 308.....Montana Marine is the man that has a great deal of testing.....

2nd the rl-17. Got 2600 with 208 amax with 49 grains just yesterday. Win brass, br2 primers. 22" 11.25 twist barrel. My rifle is built on a long action, so they are just under 3" coal. I got faster working up, but groups opened up.

I've have an 18 1/2" and 20" 308 BAR, what might be a good load for it, whitetail, hogs and black bear? Any ideas for me. Just starting to re-load for it. It shot 150 grain Hornady's SST superperformance pretty well. Powder and bullet ideas? Range, 300-500.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.