308 Load Development?

Eatonc

Working on new load for 308 after new stock and barrel. Using Lapua brass, and have been using 165gr Sierra SBT GK... Wondering if anyone is using something close that that with Reloader 15 or IMR4064 and can tell me what they think? Possibly tell me where the sweet spot was for powder. or if someone has had better luck with a different bullet? Thanks for any input.

We used to shoot a couple .308s a lot and our standby load was IMR 4064 behind a 168gr AMAX. This combo went about 2700fps and shot awesome.

Are you looking for higher velocity(hot loads or something like 2650? The Nosler bonded is a good bullet.

Went thru a long load work-up with a 308 tactical and of all powders I tried IMR4895, IMR4064, Varget, and H4350 the hands down winner was RL15 for me. Was working alongside a buddy at the time and he did best with Varget. Both of us using 24" heavy barrels in 1-10" twist with 165gr. We both wound up with lapua brass and CCI BR-2 primers. Both guns were semi customs and turned out to be very accurate. Good Shooting

I use that exact Sierra bullet in my tikka 308 with upwards of 46 grains of 4064 with great accuracy. Work up to this load it's above most books

4064 and 168 AMAX was the most accurate load out of my 308. My best group was .195 five shot group at 100 yards. This was out of a Remington 5R.

I've seen very good accuracy with the Sierra 165 GK HP and H4895 in a Remington 700 5R heavy barrel .308 and a New Ultra Light Arms Model 20 .308.

Working on new load for 308 after new stock and barrel. Using Lapua brass, and have been using 165gr Sierra SBT GK... Wondering if anyone is using something close that that with Reloader 15 or IMR4064 and can tell me what they think? Possibly tell me where the sweet spot was for powder. or if someone has had better luck with a different bullet? Thanks for any input.
I use 45.5 varget 168 nosler competition bullet .5 or less group 11.5 twist savage police rifle

Thanks for the input guys. Giving some good info. Varget is hard to find around my area as the guys that use it seem to stake out stores and buy it all up. But will def be looking at some of the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.