308 Win 168 ELDM seating die damaging tips.

I have this issue with some of the Hammer Bullets, the stems like to bite into the ogive.
Lapping seems like what's needed here. Although since the bullets are costly I might try some light polishing without using a bullet first. In my mind a bedded stem might be the best option here. Unless you have access to a EDM machine and can burn a stem to fit.

I should note that my method isn't always the best way. And the other methods that were suggested could be better. We all have different experience and skill sets. So pick which one works best for you. Some might be better at drilling. Others maybe better at lapping. Since parts and reloading components are harder to get right now DIY's need to have several options to fix issues. I gave my reasons for bedding the stem. But if others aren't comfortable bedding because of the potential to glue everything shut that's fine. I was worried to this morning when the epoxy was giving me issues lol.

You can fix anything with a hacksaw, duct tape, and shoe goo.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The standard Redding seater is contacting near the ogive so I could grind that one to fit. If that doesn't fix the run out issue I'll probably try the JB Weld method. Thanks for the hot glue link though. It's another option.
Thank you! Something more to play with, looks awesome! 😀

X2^^^^ easy fix!
I'll have to check again but the other day when I took apart the Redding Competition Seating die the stem wasn't that large in diameter. So I think if I drilled it out to clear the tip it wouldn't leave much material to rest on the bullet's body. The stem is around $24-$28 plus some charging $13.XX shipping I figured I'd wait and buy one rather than ruining the one I have for SMK style ogives. I bedded the standard seating die and will use that for now. I'll take the Competition die apart again later on today.

I'll have to check again but the other day when I took apart the Redding Competition Seating die the stem wasn't that large in diameter. So I think if I drilled it out to clear the tip it wouldn't leave much material to rest on the bullet's body. The stem is around $24-$28 plus some charging $13.XX shipping I figured I'd wait and buy one rather than ruining the one I have for SMK style ogives. I bedded the standard seating die and will use that for now. I'll take the Competition die apart again later on today.
It's a common problem today with the new sharp nosed bullets. When Hornady introduced the new Atips they stated and made available a seating stem specifically designed for them! I use it on all the match and x bullets now especially since that's all I'm loading these days ( also SMKs and TTSX)

It's a common problem today with the new sharp nosed bullets. When Hornady introduced the new Atips they stated and made available a seating stem specifically designed for them! I use it on all the match and x bullets now especially since that's all I'm loading these days ( also SMKs and TTSX)
Yeah the issue is I don't Hornady dies for my 308 win. And the VLD stem for the Redding Competition dies isn't available right now. I looked at the Redding stem and I think I'll leave it alone and just get a VLD stem when they come available. Heck with the way things are going with components it might be awhile before I get some more ELDM's lol.

I loaded some 168 gr ELDM in my 308 Win with IMR4895 last week with my Redding Competition Seating die. The tips were smashed but the accuracy was reasonable. What fixes have people done other I can't find a VLD seating stem right, a standard Redding seating die isn't damaging the tips but the run out is not acceptable. I may burnish the seating stem on the standard die to get a better fit. Has anyone else had this issue? What fixes have you all used?
Try to get the neck tension down VIA: annealing, neck turning and dry lube on the inside of the neck and on the bullet. 3M Teflon dry lube works well on 7 1/2 shot ( available on Amazon )

Try to get the neck tension down VIA: annealing, neck turning and dry lube on the inside of the neck and on the bullet. 3M Teflon dry lube works well on 7 1/2 shot ( available on Amazon )
Thanks but neck tension wasn't the issue. The polymer tip was the only contact on the seating die stem was the problem.