308 Win 168 ELDM seating die damaging tips.

xsn10s

I loaded some 168 gr ELDM in my 308 Win with IMR4895 last week with my Redding Competition Seating die. The tips were smashed but the accuracy was reasonable. What fixes have people done other I can't find a VLD seating stem right, a standard Redding seating die isn't damaging the tips but the run out is not acceptable. I may burnish the seating stem on the standard die to get a better fit. Has anyone else had this issue? What fixes have you all used?

You didn't say which brand of dies you were using. I've used seaters made by RCBS, Hornady, Forester and Redding and often had minor marking of VLDs. Usually a little ring indentation. Switching seating stems usually works and hornady has seating stems specially made to fit their ELD-series bullets.

You mention using 4895, I know a full charge of H4895 is compressed. I've never tried IMR4895 but I have experienced bullet damage with compressed loads and heard about damage from an improperly set crimp die. It can increase the seating resistance and cause damage to the ogive during seating.

If your seating stem doesn't fit the bullet you can basically "bed" it to fit with hot glue or epoxy. I've never had to go this far but I think it would work.

You didn't say which brand of dies you were using. I've used seaters made by RCBS, Hornady, Forester and Redding and often had minor marking of VLDs. Usually a little ring indentation. Switching seating stems usually works and hornady has seating stems specially made to fit their ELD-series bullets.

You mention using 4895, I know a full charge of that is compressed. Compressed loads or an improperly set crimp die can increase the seating resistance and cause damage to the ogive during seating.

If your seating stem doesn't fit the bullet you can basically "bed" it to fit with hot glue or epoxy. I've never had to go this far but I think it would work.
I stated the both seating dies are Redding. The one that does damage is the Redding Competition die. The standard Redding seating die isn't damaging the tips. The load isn't compressed.

http://www.uniquetek.com/store/696296/uploaded/Bullet_Seating_Stem_Customization.pdf
The standard Redding seater is contacting near the ogive so I could grind that one to fit. If that doesn't fix the run out issue I'll probably try the JB Weld method. Thanks for the hot glue link though. It's another option.

Sorry I missed that about the Redding comp dies…I read and replied before 2nd cup of coffee.
No problem buddy. I'm a bit grumpy this morning and probably could stand a couple of pots of coffee. Apologies for being abrupt or rude. I appreciate the help.

Update: I went the JB Weld bedding after trying Gorilla Glue epoxy. So far it looks like the bedding worked. I might need to clean up the bedding some but the first bullet seated +/- .001 run out. I'll let the bedding cure some more and then see how it lasts.

I have drilled out the center of the seater stem deep enough for tip clearance. Having access to a lathe is the best way but it could be drilled out by hand.
Thanks yeah I read about that method too. I might try that on the Comptition die stem since the tip of VLD bullet contacts the stem. The standard Redding Seating die had the center drilled out quite a bit. Normally I'd chuck up the stem and lap it with the bullets and lapping compound for a good fit. But since components are scare I went this bedding method. I'll run this for awhile and see how it goes.

I lapped the stem myself, works fine.
That's what I normally do with tangent ogive bullets. But I'd need to take maybe ten thou or more material off before clearing the tip with the ELDM's or VLD type bullets. I'm pretty sure that polymer tip isn't going to work lapping the material off much so that's why I went the bedding method. Drilling and lapping might work on the Redding Competition Seating die stem but then it might not seat tangent ogive bullets well. I'll see how I like these ELDM's before address the Competition Seating die.

Last edited:
Also I should note that when I lapped bullets I normally wnet through two or three bullets to lap a seating stem. I don't shoot thouse bullets since the lapping compound might be embedded into the bullets. I consider it an acceptable loss. I lost just the bullet I bedded with since the epoxy is pretty well stuck on the bullet even though I throughly sprayed One Shot on the bullet, case pretty much everything except the inside of the seating stem.

I have heard you can bed the bullet into the seating stem, but then you are stuck with that bullet/seating stem. I guess you could get it out with a little work. Or maybe put release agent in the stem. Then each time before you seat, set the molded tip on bullet and then run it up into the die? I have not done this so don't ruin your die on my advice...

I have this issue with some of the Hammer Bullets, the stems like to bite into the ogive.

I had to drill out my comparator yesterday as the 250 Berger was bottoming out in it.

I have heard you can bed the bullet into the seating stem, but then you are stuck with that bullet/seating stem. I guess you could get it out with a little work. Or maybe put release agent in the stem. Then each time before you seat, set the molded tip on bullet and then run it up into the die? I have not done this so don't ruin your die on my advice...

I have this issue with some of the Hammer Bullets, the stems like to bite into the ogive.

I had to drill out my comparator yesterday as the 250 Berger was bottoming out in it.
Hi Shane I just bedded my stem but the bullet got stuck even with generous application of One Shot. And I mean generous lol. Two things that might have played into this. I tried Gorilla Glue first and when it didn't work well I got it off the bullet the best I could. I then went to JB Weld and the generous application of One Shot. with the bedding I used a seated bullet with nearly no run out. There could be run out already in the die but IMO this gives me the best chance of success.