.308 Teka 3

That's a really odd weight suggestion in a 308win and copper. It's going to be rather slow, and something monos need is speed. With a Barnes, I'd probably not go below 2000fps impact velocity to be safe, which limits you to some rather short shots. Going by the Barne's load data, you're looking at 200 yards, tops.

Another issue, is the 180 TTSX is only marginally stable in a 1:11 twist tikka. SG of 1.17, no way in the world, I'd accept that. The BC is going to be way lower than if it was properly stable, and really significantly so. The max range is probably going to drop another 50 yards or more to maintain that 2000fps.

If you have a good 150gr load, run that. 150gr is more than enough for moose, especially in copper.
I like the 150 Nosler Balistic tips. They are extremely accurate in the load I use and do a great job of exploding in the whitetails I have harvested. I can't see why that bullet would not be suitable for a moose

My guess is your caliber selection has your guide nervous. I have no experience with moose hunting ( dream hunt ) . But the 308 is probably not the gun I'd use . I have several that would probably not worry your guide from 30-06 thru 375 ruger . The mono bullet will get you better penatration and drive into the moose deep compared to a standard lead copper jacket bullet given the 308 and it's limits.

As previously mentioned, good luck stabilizing a 180 mono in a .308 Win with a 1:11 twist. A 150 mono is probably about the heaviest solid copper bullet that will stabilize in a 1:11 twist .308 Winchester. I would say that your accuracy issues are directly related to twist rate, velocity & seating depth. I have had excellant accuracy with Barnes mono bullets in several calibers - but generally you need to go to a bit lighter weight with a mono bullet for accuracy - especially when using a standard (non-magnum) round due to bullet length vs. weight & velocity. I am sure a 150 mono bullet will kill a moose just as well as a 180. The 150 will shoot faster/flatter and should group better. Good luck on your hunt !

I am reloading for a moose hunt and the guide wants me to shoot Barnes triple shock 180 grain bullets. I have tried, win 746, Varget and I am just not getting the precision I want at 100 yards. Do any of you long time reloaders have a good load to try? I am getting groups of say 3" or more. I am not a constant reloader so I have a few go to loads for whitetail but the heavier bullet just won't fly as well as the 150 grain. I am thinking of trying TAC but am wondering if it will be any better than what I have.

Here is what Barnes has for load data. Hunting moose prob relatively close range so I wouldn't get caught up chasing velocity. But I would drop down to 165.

IMG_9670.jpeg

I am reloading for a moose hunt and the guide wants me to shoot Barnes triple shock 180 grain bullets. I have tried, win 746, Varget and I am just not getting the precision I want at 100 yards. Do any of you long time reloaders have a good load to try? I am getting groups of say 3" or more. I am not a constant reloader so I have a few go to loads for whitetail but the heavier bullet just won't fly as well as the 150 grain. I am thinking of trying TAC but am wondering if it will be any better than what I have.
Those 180 ttsx bullets have not been the most accurate for me, however, they will get the job done. Considering what you are going after (moose) your going to have a tough time with velocity with a 180 in a .308 win unless your close to the target. You must keep the velocity as high as possible for that bullet to expand properly. Don't let it drop below 2000fps or so at impact. This is going to limit your distance to target. If I were you, I'd consider the 168 ttsx if that ttsx bullet is required. That will give you a bit more velocity and distance to work with. You should be OK with Varget, just max charge (or close) the powder and load the cartridge for maximum velocity. Try a slower powder if possible. Tac is a little on the fast side for your bullet choice. Review the powder reccomended for your bullet choice at Barnes. Try Hammers as an alternative bullet. Stay safe and have fun.

Last edited:
The problem is the .308 in short action really limits what you can do. Tikka is a little better but still not a lot of room. Like @C-130 Dude stated, Barnes stated min velocity for expansion will be serious problem to overcome due to launch velocities.

I would look at the 160HH or the 166HH as alternative. They will give you what you need.
🧨🔥☄️

My guess is your caliber selection has your guide nervous. I have no experience with moose hunting ( dream hunt ) . But the 308 is probably not the gun I'd use . I have several that would probably not worry your guide from 30-06 thru 375 ruger . The mono bullet will get you better penatration and drive into the moose deep compared to a standard lead copper jacket bullet given the 308 and it's limits.
I have a 30-06 rem 3600 pump but the Tikka is way more of a tack driver. My son is taking me on the hunt

I have a 30-06 rem 3600 pump but the Tikka is way more of a tack driver. My son is taking me on the hunt
As far as the caliber of the gun I like my .308. Lots less recoil which in my case means more accurate. I have always believed it is the accuracy of the shot not the caliber that gets game. But unfortunately I do miss too. Lol

That's a really odd weight suggestion in a 308win and copper. It's going to be rather slow, and something monos need is speed. With a Barnes, I'd probably not go below 2000fps impact velocity to be safe, which limits you to some rather short shots. Going by the Barne's load data, you're looking at 200 yards, tops.

Another issue, is the 180 TTSX is only marginally stable in a 1:11 twist tikka. SG of 1.17, no way in the world, I'd accept that. The BC is going to be way lower than if it was properly stable, and really significantly so. The max range is probably going to drop another 50 yards or more to maintain that 2000fps.

If you have a good 150gr load, run that. 150gr is more than enough for moose, especially in copper.
Yes I have had great success with 150 Nosler Partition or any premium bullet should work well out to 250 yards.
If you run out of time just buy some Nosler or Federal Premium 150 grain. I find both to be quite accurate.

Same suggestion here as others, get a box of 150gr ttsx. I dont think you have the speed to stabilize the 180's out of a 308.

I know you want to get along with the guide, but your paying him . Not the other way around. Find a good premium bullet the gun and you like. As suggested above, hammer hunters are easy to tune and are killer's. Nosler partitions. A frames. Several are great. Keep your.308 inside300 to 350 you will be fine. Moose are killed every year with. 6.5x55 In Sweden and Norway without issues.