.308 rebarrel choices

MtPockets

Hi All!
I'm looking to rebarrel a mid-70's model 700 in .308 and would like some input.
What I'd like to know is what is the best twist rate for the .308? I know that the faster twists stabilize the larger bullets, but does that adversly affect the smaller bullets? I'd like to be able to play with the full range of bullet weights.
I'd also like to play with long range (800-1000 yards) but not necessarily to the point of being the focus of this rifle.
Also, what contour/length would be best for a mountain hunting rifle?
Has anyone had any experience with the 5R rifling? Is there any advantage to it (I see Lilja offers a 3 groove- same question)?
Thanks for the help, guys, I really appreciate it!

I have been told to buy Rock Creek barrels by a VERY reliable gunsmith. He has shot every brand available over the years, and he says a 5R Rock Creek barrel is where it's at. The Rock Creek 5R .308 barrels are 11.25" twist.

For my .280AI built will be a 100% trued balanced & blueprinted 700 action, trued raceway, squared bolt, with a Jard 14oz trigger, and a stainless 5R Rock Creek barrel. It should be pretty nasty.

I would opt for a 1 in 10 unless you have a specific bullet in mind. I run 1 in 8 for heavy subsonic loads,1 in 10 for general purpose and 1 in 12 for the 155 bullets. I have shot light weights threw my 1 in 8 without a problem but have on occasion cursed my 1 in 12 for not running the heavies well. I think one in 10 is a the best bet unless you now what you want to run. I do not know the limits of the 1 in 11 in a 308 win but my 300wsm is a 1 in 11 and it is not fast enough for some of the pills I would like to use.

I only shoot 165-168gr for my .308, so 11.25" is perfect for my setup, which is also what my Remington 700 5R .308's stock barrel is. It loves the 168's.

I do have a big box of Nosler Custom Comp 175gr bullets that I have been curious how they shoot out of my gun. Might load up about 20 or so to take to the range.

Alright just got back from the range and shot my custom loads for my .257 Wby Mag, and my .308.

Since i have only tested with 168gr projectiles for my .308 so far, and I have a box of 250 pack of 175gr Nosler Custom Comp .30 bullets laying around, figured i'd test out some... Apparantly my 5R loves the 175's as much as the 168 Custom Comps. At 100 yards I am only 1 Mil lower with the 175's and my side-to-side is dead on for both! So, needless to say, I didn't touch the scope, I just shot with the Mil setup.

So, good to know that now. Tonight I might load up 100 of my new Lapua brass with my 175gr load I concocted to see how well the gun likes both at long distance.

I shoot a Rem 700 with a 1/10 twist. It shoots 168 bergers just fine but it really shines with 175's. Also the heavier bullets let me reach out there better and more accurately. It's a good 700 to 800 yard rifle I havent tried 1000 yards yet(still working up my load).

Has anyone had any experience with the 5R rifling? Is there any advantage to it (I see Lilja offers a 3 groove- same question)?

I don't have personal experience on 5R but I do on Lilja barrel's 3-groove (not on .308 but on my .270 AI). I consulted with my gunsmith and Dan on barrel twist and groove and am very pleased with the results thus far.

Check out Lilja's FAQ on 3-groove barrels ... Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - FAQ

Also, Dan is very helpful and easy to talk to ... just an overall nice guy.

Good luck!

ADDED: (C&P from http://www.6mmbr.com/barrelfaq.html#24636)

What Is the Best Number of Grooves? Barrel-makers report that, as long as the ratio of lands to grooves is relatively constant, there is no demonstrable difference in accuracy among 3-,4-,5-,6- and 8-groove barrel designs. Krieger has told us "There isn't any advantage to the shooter. Assuming the ratio of the surface area is kept the same, the number of grooves should not have any effect. Barrel makers use different numbers of grooves for ease of manufacturing and ... marketing hype." That said, in our experience, 8-groove barrels are a little slower, and may foul a bit more quickly because there are more edges to cut into the bullet's jacket and to trap powder residue. We see no reason not to specify a 4-groove barrel if that is your preference. Moreover, IBS Hunter Champion Al Nyhus and others have had great success with Lilja 3-groove barrels. Al believes the 3-groove design cleans up more quickly and yields a bit more velocity. Famed gunsmith and wildcatter P.O. Ackley believed that, all things considered, a properly-made 3-groove barrel is optimal for most common calibers. Ackley believed 3-groove profiles can deliver higher velocities with less fouling and no significant reduction in accuracy. In the months ahead, 6mmBR.com plans to do a comparison test of various barrel formats.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.