308 questions

md66948

I am looking for some suggestions for 2 types of 308 loads. I currently have a Smith M21M14 and a SAI M1A. Both have 1-10 inch barrels. I am getting a new military type rifle in with a 20" 1-12 inch barrel.

I want to load 150 gr BT FMJs and 168 gr Matcth Kings. I will be using Military Brass and commercial brass that I have already seperated.

I am sitting on 1,600 Match Kings but I will need to purchase the 150 FMJs.

Any suggestsions on loads that I can use in all 3 rifles that will have desent groupings.

You should hit up the reloading depot on the Hide , tons of load data. I have some good loads for the M1A but using 175 pills. If you're running the 168's you may as well as use the FGMM load data. If you want the FGMM load data let me know. I haven't loaded the 150's so can't help there

You need to be careful with the pressure and pressure curve on your loads for those rifles, there is specific load data that will protect your rifles. Even if you go to an adjustable gas valve I wouldn't deviate myself, one round is all it takes to bend an op rod, or a couple dozen rounds that are borderline. Wave's advise to hit the Hide for data is a good start, I would also check my manuals for specific load data, and a call to Hodgdon would be on my list ( I would personally use Hodgdon powder).

The M14/M1A are going to define the pressure envelope for powder selection and the 12 twist the maximum bullet weight, which should be the same as the M14 derivatives. Hodgdon has loads for 308 service rifle.

For 150 FMJ go with Hornady and seat to cannelure 2.700".

I don't disagree Hodgdon makes great powder, just a lot of it is unobtanium. As I recall H4895/IMR 4895 are considered best for these type guns but haven't seen either available in forever. Ramshot TAC however is available, similar speed as H4895 and as a ball powder meters like water. I have used this powder extensively in 308, 223 & 204 with great results. As mentioned above you want to stay around 7.62 NATO velocities not 308W.

I did find a post indicating it was from Ramshot themselves related to an M1A suggestion for TAC and 165 bullets (would use same for 168) between 37.8grains (2275-2375Fps) and 42.0grains (2500-2600Fps).

I think AA2495 also available and in same burn range but is a stick powder I don't have any experience with. I have read it can be temp sensitive.

Oh, and last I checked TAC and AA2495 available at Powder Valley and Natchez.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

JB

I was going to say that 41 grs of IMR4895 with the 168gr sierras is a proven match load and shoots extremely well in several of my .308's.

I stated in my original post that I was getting in a new Military Type rifle in .308.

I now have four Rifles in .308 to load for. I want to stick to some reloads around NATO M80 and the Match loads in 168 Match Kings.

I picked it up last night. I will have better pictures when it stops raining.

The M14/M1A are going to define the pressure envelope for powder selection and the 12 twist the maximum bullet weight, which should be the same as the M14 derivatives. Hodgdon has loads for 308 service rifle.

For 150 FMJ go with Hornady and seat to cannelure 2.700".
Hornady has service rifle data also.