.308 Norma Reloading questions

wstetson

I feel the need again for a .30 Magnum and have settled on either .308 Norma Mag or .300 Win Mag.

I've owned and reloaded for .300 Win before, so I know about the short neck and short case life issues. (Wondering today why I sold them off...).

Anyone with experience loading the .308 Norma have info on case life?

Surprised to find on Midway that Norma brand .300 Win brass more expensive than Norma brand .308 Norma, unless you spring for the .300 Win 500ct. Other brands usually cheaper, of course.

And of course .308 Norma rifles aren't in every catalog, so that's a different consideration.

And please, I have already eliminated the .30 short fats and other alphabet variants, so we don't need to rehash those.

Thanks for any thoughts, case life foremost, but happy to read about .308 Norma experiences.

Stets

I don't have one of these personally, but I do have 2 friends who have older rifles chambered in the .308 Norman mag. They swear by theirs. One is a rebarreled 98 Mauser from WWII even has Nazi proof marks and a Swastika. The other is a Pre-64 model 70 Winchester.

I've personally shot the Winchester (Several years ago when I lived near my friend)and it's quite a shooter. It's cabable of Sub-moa groups at 100yds.

When .308 Norma brass was unavailable this friend used Virgin .338 Win Mag Brass, necked it down then fireformed it to the chamber as he was target shooting. Brass life exceeded 10 rounds. He especially liked the longer neck, Said it made the cartrige more accurate and he didn't have any unseat in the magazine while shooting.

My other friend with the Mauser, got a really good deal on his and has just enjoyed hunting with it. He isn't a accuracy nut, but has said it's really easy to load for and certainly fun.

Sorry I cant be of more help, It's interesting to see an interest in such a fine old cartridge.

Dan

Dan

Thanks for the reply, even a sample of one helps. I don't seem to have tweaked any other interest though.

Maybe some others will discover the thread.

I'm busy with the end of bow season here in Colorado, then have rifle Elk hunt mid October with my trusty ole .30-06.

After then I'll start pushing this marble around.

Stets

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.