308 powder advice help helping a friend

DartonJager

My friend has just acquired a used but LNIB Ruger Precision Rifle, set of Redding dies and around 400 175/SMK, 100 1x fired Lapua brass and 100 unfired Lapua brass. He has Large rifle primers and all other needed reloading tools. All he needs is powder and he asked me what powders I felt best to get and I recommended IMR 4064 as #1 then #2 RL15, or Varget as #3.
Unfortunately he can not find any in stock anywhere. BIG surprise.

Well I have an abundance of 308 suitable powders just not RL15 or Varget and not enough IMR 4064 left to be able to part with any as I can not replace it. I am willing to give him what other 308 suitable powders I have but have no reloading experience with any them for the 308 Winchester.

So could those with the most experience reloading 308 Winchester and 175 grain SMK please suggest which of the fallowing powders would most likely give the best accuracy for 308 and 175 SMK.

I have these fallowing powders in sufficient abundance I can easily part with minimum of two pounds of one or two but not all.
Hodgdon CFE 223
IMR 4166
Ramshot Tac
Accurate 2520

Thanks to all for your help.

Good afternoon!

I've found TAC very accurate in both my M1A and my Savage 10FCP. It meters well and I like it. I've seen it more of it available for sale lately as well if that helps.

Another that I've found great is Winchester 748. It's shot well in every 308 I've ever owned, and also meters well.

As you mentioned, though, I've found Varget to be a fantastic powder for both 308 and 7mm-08.

All my best,
Rob

4166 was designed to compete with Varget and I've had some excellent results with it. Like Rob said, TAC is a good one and 2520 tested well for me

Thanks guys
Of the four powders I listed I actually have the most of and equal amounts of RS/Tac and CFE223

You can't screw up with AA2520. Same burn rate as 4064 in ball powder form. I found my RPR 308 liked 4064 @ 42gr, Lapua case, WLR primer, and 175 SMK 2550fps.

The good thing about the 308 is the versatility of round. I too have found the 4064 is my rifle's favorite powder. Powder seems to be sporadically coming back in stock, but you have to be quick on the draw to get it.
Try what has been suggested and keep checking for available powder.

I had good accuracy with 175 SMK or CC using TAC. Best accuracy was while using Fed 210M.

You can't screw up with AA2520. Same burn rate as 4064 in ball powder form. I found my RPR 308 liked 4064 @ 42gr, Lapua case, WLR primer, and 175 SMK 2550fps.
First reply is no way to really tell what they will do in that gun until you try them. I know in all the 308's I have loaded for the most accurate powder the most often is IMR4064, and I will not just throw out a post with a totally different powder you dont have. Then I read this and I have never used AA2520 If it matches 4064 and you only want to try one....I would start with it.

First reply is no way to really tell what they will do in that gun until you try them. I know in all the 308's I have loaded for the most accurate powder the most often is IMR4064, and I will not just throw out a post with a totally different powder you dont have. Then I read this and I have never used AA2520 If it matches 4064 and you only want to try one....I would start with it.
AA2520 is a touch slower. 42gr IMR 4064 = 43.6gr AA2520 for 2550fps. I figured if he started AA2520 at 42gr he will be GTG.

FYI ... I've had great success not just duplicating, but exceeding the performance of Federal Gold Medal Match loads by using Dan Newberry's Optimal Charge Weight' (OCW) method. Unfortunately, he likes the powders for the 175s that you don't want to give up ...

Attachments

• 308OCW.jpg
    308OCW.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 142
Thanks to all who replied. As far as VV powders are concerned in my experience VV powders in my area are a rare find OTC in the best of times let alone in the powder desert we are currently in.
I have checked essentlually daily for IMR 4064 and have yet to find any in stock in the last 18 months.
Not saying it never has been just I've never found it.