advice on .308 powder

forest

Hi guys just getting into reloading for the range. I have a few kg of BL-C2 hodgdon, and lapua brass. Is this a good foundation for long range target? I will be using .308. 26 inch barrel remmy 700.
Also any advice which bullets and weight? As I said I am new to this maybe I should have asked all this before I bought powder.:) I would appreciate any advice as I am a novice at range shooting over distance.

Hi guys just getting into reloading for the range. I have a few kg of BL-C2 hodgdon, and lapua brass. Is this a good foundation for long range target? I will be using .308. 26 inch barrel remmy 700.
Also any advice which bullets and weight? As I said I am new to this maybe I should have asked all this before I bought powder.:) I would appreciate any advice as I am a novice at range shooting over distance.

never tried it

44gr Varget is my go to load

I play with RL15, VN140 and CFE223

I like the RL15 but always wind up back with varget

What distance do you intend to shoot? This will help with which bullet and your powder. Are you open to trying other powders? I am assuming your barrels twist is a 1-10.

If you're going to shoot at 800 to 1000 yards (long range in USA NRA matches), 190, 200 and 210-gr. bullets will probably shoot most accurate in your 1:10 twist 26 inch barrel. 47 to 48 grains of IMR4350 under 200's in .308's have won many a match at long range; I've done that a few times. Or 42 grains of IMR4064 and 44 grains of IMR4320 under 190's will do and have done as well.

After you've used up that BL-C2 ball powder, get some stick/extruded powders. Those in speeds of Varget and IMR4895 for 150-gr. or so bullets, IMR4064 or IMR4320 for 168 to 190's. Ball powders do not have a good track record in long range accuracy events. Medium and short range ones, too, for that matter. Meanwhile, BL-C2 will probably do best with 150 to 170 grain bullets.

If you're shooting 150 to 168gr bullets, I've had good accuracy and velocity with AR Comp. (As a powder option). I'm sure Varget is still hard to find.

What distance do you intend to shoot? This will help with which bullet and your powder. Are you open to trying other powders? I am assuming your barrels twist is a 1-10.

Hi it's a 1/12 twist, range goes out as far as 1200 yards. I hope to start around 300 and work my way out as I improve. Will also need a stock. Was thinking a tactical mc millan any opinions, or recommendations.

I run the BLC-2 with 155 Berger vld's at just over max load in a 10 twist with excellent accuracy in my target gun .308

If the rifle has a 1-12 pitch rifling. It may only stabilize up to 168 gr. bullets, If that heavy. I have an Rem Model 78 308 Win. that does not accurately shoot anything over 150 gr. It shoots 130 gr. in the tightest groups. If I remember right it has a 1 in 12 twist. IMR 4064 and IMR 4895 are powders I have used in my 308 Win. with lighter bullets. Hope the twist will shoot as heavy bullets as you want.

If the rifle has a 1-12 pitch rifling. It may only stabilize up to 168 gr. bullets, If that heavy. I have an Rem Model 78 308 Win. that does not accurately shoot anything over 150 gr. It shoots 130 gr. in the tightest groups. If I remember right it has a 1 in 12 twist. IMR 4064 and IMR 4895 are powders I have used in my 308 Win. with lighter bullets. Hope the twist will shoot as heavy bullets as you want.

According to most bullet manufacturer's, and in my experience, the 1:12 should stabilize up to a 180-185 grain bullet.

My .308 Win has a 5R 11.25" and it stabilized the Berger 210 VLD's. My .30-06 AI has a 1:12, and it stabilizes the Berger 185 VLD's. Both rifles shoot ragged-hole groups.

In contrast to the popular thought about heavy bullets in .308 Win barrels with a 1:12 twist.....

Winchester Repeating Arms had Western Cartridge Company make .308 Win match ammo with 197 and 200 grain bullets to shoot in their Model 70 target rifles with 1:12 twist barrels. Very accurate ammo in those rifles.

I and others have shot Sierra 190's in 24" long 1:12 twist .308 Win barrels getting sub MOA accuracy through 1000 yards.

Winchester made 200-grain soft point round nose bullets in hunting ammo for their first .308 Win chambered rifles that had 1:12 twist 22" barrels. Very accurate and a great moose and elk round.

My Howa 1500 308 likes the 150g ballistic tips over 45g of Varget. I'm getting around 2730 fps out of my 22" barrel. Best group measured .217 at 100 yards. Bullets seated just off the lands.

I would buy a Hodgdon Annual reloading book, more of a thick magazine for it is paperback. I would choose a bullet weight or two, probably 155 for starting out and probably 185 for later at longer ranges. Your 1-12 may easily shoot a heavier then 185. Take a look at Nosler Custom Competition bullets to start with, they are less expensive and shoot good, remember I said good, not best. If you can afford it skip them and go to Bergers. I'd personally go cheaper till I gained experience in loading and shooting technique. Lapua brass is excellent, make sure you set your dies up properly so as you aew not over working your brass. I could go on and on which may end up with to much info at once. Also the powder you have will be ok to start but you have already been suggested to change ang I second that for the same reasons.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.