308 or 6.5CM

That would be fun to hunt several hogs, to fill freezer, I killed one in CA and one in TN, dam good meat! Wish we had them up here, I know every one will say no you don't, but yes I do.
Where you at?
GA.

And while we eat hundreds of pounds of hogs every year in our home you don't want them. Neighbor moved about three miles down the road to an abandoned farm and I helped him brush hog it to get the hay started again. Hogs showed up and they have literally deatroyed 30 acres of field since mid September. He's trapping and I'm hunting nights, finally have them thinned out to a fairly manageable level...until the next sounder shows up.

Thanks for all the insight and opinions. Couple things I did not mention before. I do not hand load currently (lack of time) so i will be shooting factory ammo. MOst likely non lead because of the laws in CA (except at the range). Yeah I know practice with what you hunt with and I 100% agree but not reloading and lead is just cheaper then copper bullets.

My current hunting rifle is a Sako A7 in 270 which I love and can comfortably shoot under 1 MOA out to 250-300 yards. Also have a couple AR platform rifles for fun.

The biggest factor doing a custom build right now is my wife gave me the green light. Not sure if she will ever allow me to spend this kind of money again so I am going for it. Maybe is was the bottle of wine she drank when I got the green light but it works for me. I am sure she will pay me back in the future when she wants something or wants to go someplace fancy.

Not that you don't already have enough advice on this but my Covid quarantine project this year was to build an LR-308 specifically for pigs. Got tired of them running off after I plowed into them with my 5.56 AR so I decided to up the ante. I put a rifle-length gas system on a 16" McGowan barrel (which takes a bit of tuning), LaRue 2-stage trigger, Precision Armament M11 Severe-Duty muzzle break (which, along with the rifle-length gas system makes the .308 shoot like an AR-15). And finally I topped it off with a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x, which is overkill for this gun but I got a killer deal on it and couldn't pass it up (I have 4 Leupolds...3 of them CDS). She shoots 1/2 MOA at 100 yds using the Barnes TTSX 165 grain all copper rounds I loaded for it. She's a bit on the heavy side at 13 lbs, but I tend to like heavy rifles that take the brunt of the recoil instead of me. Wanted a semi-auto with some punch so I could get back on target quickly and hopefully get more than one out the sounder.

Attachments

• IMG_E0401.JPG
    IMG_E0401.JPG
    983.9 KB · Views: 86
The 308 will definitely feel different in a lighter rifle, depending on how light you go, the 6.5 will produce less recoil with the same results. Also just order a Savage ultra light rifle in Either caliber and be done with it.

Was considering GA Precision's the Crusader too but I think I want a rifle a little lighter for carrying all day.
At 300yds or less I can think of nothing the Creedmoor can do better than the 308 except recoil less. If that was a concern I'd get a .243.
So 308 seems to make really good sense!

Originally I wanted an AR platform 308 as well but the idiot lawmakers in CA took that option off the table for me a couple years ago. I really hate this state but thats another topic.

As far as recoil I am not shy. DOnt get me wrong....shooting my 300 WM all day does beat me up a little but it lets you know you are still alive.

Is this gun going to be a bolt or AR? Sorry if it's mentioned and I missed it.

I would definitely build a 6.5, .308 does have more knock down power than a 6.5 under 300. But accuracy kills, I've seen multiple magnum rifles wound animals that were never found because of bad shots. and the 6.5 is a more accurate rifle ballistically speaking. And if you ever desire to reach out further you will have the gun to do it. My rifle has 15 kills as a 6.5, after converting from a .308. Like I said in my previous post, all animals out to 500yd. 500yd being the furthest, 50yd being the closest. My 170" muley was dumped at 50yd, my 300lb black bear at 500yd, and they both crumpled.

22" proof research carbon barre 1:8twist, Factory action( wish I would've bought a defiance) carbon fiber h and h precision stock, DBM, timney trigger(wish I got a trigger tech), 20MOA rail, vortex razor 4.5x27 scope( wish I would've bought the leupold, much lighter).

They are both great cartridges.
Since you said you're staying within 300 yards, I would prefer the .308 with 180 gr premium bullets, like Nosler Accubond, and or partition. Or, if using factory, can't go wrong with a Remington 180 gr Cor-Lokt.

I've owed and shot game with both bullet diameters over 40 years now. Do you handload? The reason I ask is these days around where I live, I see 6.5 CM on the shelves, 30-06 and 300WM, but zero 308 Winchester, 223/5.56 NATO ammo. Which is why I sold all my proprietary guns a decade ago, i.e. 8.59 Galaxy, 300 Jarrett which was based off the 8mm Remington improved.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 308 because I can shoot it a lot, 5K rounds down a barrel is the norm. That said I handload too for that reason, and when we have these supply shortages that helps if you have components on hand.

Since you live in California Barnes bullets is your best friend I'd assume? I'm loading up some 165 Tipped TSX's right now as I write this. It's either that or you keep a lot of factory ammo on hand.

Either caliber would work as long as you do your part. Build whatever your heart desires IMO..... I don't judge either since I love anything that shoots accurate. GA Precision builds super accurate rifles, same for Mark at SAC or Travis at RBros.... go with what leads you towards your goals and you'll be fine with your choice.

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

many and all input welcomed.
I like the 308 and have a Ruger American that weighs 6.25 lbs before scope and very accurate. Also very affordable.

A .308 Win bullet of 150 to 165 grains will cause more trauma than a 6.5 CM bullet of 120-140 grains provided bullet construction is the same and at 300 velocities.

I sort of like 6.5's because of the ballistic stuff , less recoil & potentially better performance should you want to go beyond 300. Zippy 100 grain 6.5 bullets are also an option.

For under 300 yards I'd go with a .308 100% of the time. You have basically an infinite variety of bullets and brass to choose from. My friends in Africa use it for everything from springbok to eland and the occasional leopard and lion. They don't consider themselves to be under-gunned at all. You can go as heavy or light as you want with bullets and it's unlikely you'll ever burn through a barrel.

That's a screaming deal! $14 MCARBO trigger spring and your set! My little Savage lightweight hunter keeps 3 140gr AB's under 3" at 300 and is quickly becoming my favorite carry rifle at sub 7 lbs. I would be more than confident in either the 308 or 6.5 in a light rifle package out to 300. You will enjoy either but I went 6.5 for my bolt gun and 308 in an AR platform (POF Revolution). I'm super happy and I'm sure you will be too. Lots of options but I would go Tikka Lite or Savage Lightweight Hunter and spend the savings on glass, dies, brass and shooting!!!😁

For under 300 yards, I wouldn't spend money on a custom rifle. I've got a Diamondback AR10 lower with both a 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 uppers. Best of both in one platform. Haven't shot the 308 yet but the 6.5 CM shoots sub-minute accuracy.

I have that exact same setup. Put adjustable gas blocks on so I can use my suppressor. Also put a drop in trigger in the lower. Am very happy shooting both calibers and keep everything in one hard case for easy transport.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.