.308 or 300 win mag?

Dr. John, my hat is off to you, and all the other guys that can accurately fire a hard kicking rifle. It takes a fair amount of practice for me to stay really sharp with my .300 Jarrett, and that is with a brake. I am one who seems to have an aversion to heavy recoil. Another trick I used before I "discovered" muzzle brakes was to load light bullets with the lightest recommended charges and work up to hunting loads. I will stop shooting my if I start to feel like I am getting pounded and want to jerk the trigger. I'd rather be a wimp that shoots straight than a tough guy with a flinch.
wink.gif

You have to write to the question; learned that while casually pursuing higher education.

ATH wants a factory Remington chambered in either 308 or 300 Winchester. I own a Model 700 in both chamberings. The 308 (with a steel buttplate) and 180 grain bullets, kicks like a mule. Truthfully, though the 300 is louder, I don't find it to be unpleasant. Did I mention the McMillian stock with the Morgan pad? That's what you need to do, if you want to play in the big leagues; 1000 yard matches, etc. The 300 is a better cartridge for that application.

Why deal with two learning curves? If you can't handle the recoil, it is better to find out with the proper gear, before you waste all that time dinking around with a 308, which is only marginally competitive. Yes, that is debatable, I know. Some fish swim upstream all day, until they die exausted.

So, if you can't handle the 300, simple; you sell it. At least you haven't bought a 308, and a 300, before you faced reality.

And, remember. As a handloader, it is very possible to start with the minimum recommended charges and the lighter bullets. You can (probably) load the 300 to duplicate 308 performance. No free lunch, of course, but at least you gain familiarity with your gun. Reduced loads, in magnum calibers can have some problems....so I've heard? (never tried it) lol. But, you don't have to get to the point where you risk what's called detonation.

Anyway, forget about being afraid of the Magnum cartridge. Think positive. It's a mind thing, coupled with proper technique.

Good hunting. LB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.