308 nosler partition. go heavy for caliber?

Robster80

should i go 150 or 165gr? mostly for whitetail. seems i had read either light for caliber or heavy for caliber is best for these bullets but cant remember which

Let your rifle tell you what it likes, the 150 or 165 will kill whitetail with no problem ! The partition is a great bullet .

My tikka 308 loves the nosler 150g partition. Both deer dropped . my buck went 10ft doe I took 20 yards. The guy I hunt with only shoots the 165g nosler partition in his 308 for deer and 300 win mag for elk. Of coarse he is old school but he has a lot more animals taking then me.

My tikka 308 loves the nosler 150g partition. Both deer dropped . my buck went 10ft doe I took 20 yards. The guy I hunt with only shoots the 165g nosler partition in his 308 for deer and 300 win mag for elk. Of coarse he is old school but he has a lot more animals taking then me.

thats what i shoot man a tikka 308. ill try the 150gr.

Bullet weight is limited by how fast or slow your rifling twist rate is in your barrel...

If you have a 1:10 twist, you can shoot anything up to 230gr bullets. If you have a 1:11.25, then you can most likely shoot up to 210's with enough velocity. If you have a 1:12, a 185 will be about max.

Also your maximum effective yardage will also determine how heavy of a bullet you will need/want.

Lots of factors fall into play. So, tell us more about your rifle, and your maximum intended shot distance, and we can help get you in a weight range of bullets to start testing out loads for.

my rifle is a tikka t3 hunter 308. as of now i plan on shooting no farther than 300yds

I'd give the Berger 168 VLD's a shot. They've worked great for me in Hornady and Lapua brass with 44.0gr of Varget, Federal 210M primers, and seated to magazine length.

For out to 300 yard the 150s are just fine. I have killed lots of deer with 30 cals and unless you are taking Texas heart shots the best out to 300 yard bullet I have ever used is the 125 Nosler ballistic tip. Just keep your impact velocity under 3000 fps and it is BANG FLOP. I have used the 125 BT to kill 50+, lost count, deer with 308 Win, 30X47 rifles and 30-30AI 14" barrel Contender pistol and I have never had a single deer go over 30 yards and most are bang flop. The 125 BT is a game bullet not a varmint bullet. 46 grs IMR 4895 with the 125 BT out of my 308 Win is the ticket. :D

like was said use the one that more accurate In your gun. I don't think theres a deer alive that would react different buy being hit by either out of your 308

I am shooting a T/C Icon in .308. On whitetail, either bullet will work. I worked up some 125 grain Nosler BT loads this year and took a doe with it. She was at 40 yards and the bullet was still around 3000fps at impact, so expansion wasn't explosive but it did the job. She ran about 90 yards and went down. Wind drift for longer shots is my only concern with the 125 but I have some 150 and 165 grain loads for windy days and longer shots. Out to 300 yards, any game bullet you select should be fine for whitetail, so go with what's most accurate in your rifle. For me, the 125 grain and some 165 Sierra Game Kings have given me the best accuracy.

don't know how many deer my father has killed through the years with his blr in 308 using that sierra 165 but its be a truck load or two.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.