.308 ammo. partition?

Robster80

at 308 velocities in 150gr shooting mostly deer is the partition an excellent choice? or save money and use a basic cup and core bullet?

should i bump up to 165? i just got the gun last year. all i shot was 150gr interlocks. no complaints just wanting to try a few different kinda of ammo

should i bump up to 165? i just got the gun last year. all i shot was 150gr interlocks. no complaints just wanting to try a few different kinda of ammo
My long range target load is a Berger 210 VLD... It may not be fastest load, but it hits hard as hell.

my son and I hunt deer with an M1 Garand at least part of every deer/elk season around here.
We use the 150 grn accubond at a mv about 2650. I would be willing to guess your 308 rounds have more or about the same power as a medium load that is safe for a Garand. The Garand/accubond combination works pretty well for anything we hit with it.
Long story short, partition, accubond or ballistic tips will work just fine in your 308.

I think the big question is what distance are you looking to shoot them. They are great options for the typical hunter who isn't shooting out past a couple hundred yards. However, if you are wanting to shoot long range (guessing you are based on the name of this site :D) then there are far better options out there in heavier, high BC offerings.

For that yardage get you some 150 gr Sierra SP either the Game King BT or Pro Hunter flat base which will probably shoot more accurately at under 300 yards and some IMR 4895, RL15 or Varget powder and work up a load. The Sierras are very accurate and will kill deer just as well as anything out there for your usage, plus they are about as cheap a bullet as your can get. I have killed at least a train car load with this bullet. Used to do crop damage control. :D

As of the last few years most of my shots have been inside 250 yards when I hunt with my 308 Win or 30X47 and I have been using the 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. As long as you keep it below 3000 fps IMPACT velocity it is a KILLER. Bang Flop. I use 46 grs IMR 4895 in my 308 Win with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.