308 load development?

Meaning I think the H4895 & Varget are a .308 standard for reloading the .308. Others are excellent also but seems that those two are the norm. Obviously bullet weight plays into it but typically the 150-175 seem to be another common weight range.

The twist is 1.11, I'm going to clean really good and try again. Also going to try h4895 on recommended by Steve he was thinking erotic velocity numbers might be the powder not all burning in the shorter barrel. I'm going to clean and try them again then try h4895 also to see if I can get some better results maybe. Will see what happens they were .020 off the lands.
Recommended twist rate is 1-10.5″ or faster for the 166
Run the 152 Hammer Hunter

Some barrels just don't like what we think they should. That combo you are using should produce better groups than what you have indicated. I have never had great success with the Satterlee test alone. I have had better success finding the point of pressure and then backing down a grain or so. Here I shoot 3 shot groups in half grain increments to find the best group. I usually shoot about 20 - 30 thousands off the lands for this point in the tuning process. Once I have a good group, I fine tune with seating depth.

Sorry for rambling. I am sure you know what you are doing. The only other thought is your barrel twist rate may not be adequate for that Hammer bullet. If you have not contacted Steve, I think that would be the best recommendation to resolve your issue.
I concur, that ladder test won't yield very good results with Hammers

I concur, that ladder test won't yield very good results with Hammers
ButterBean
did you mean the satterlee latter test wouldn't work good with Hammer bullets? Also it's a savage barrel I thought it was shorter but it measures from the muzzle to the front of the action 21 1/4" so would that be considered a 22" barrel?

ButterBean
did you mean the satterlee latter test wouldn't work good with Hammer bullets? Also it's a savage barrel I thought it was shorter but it measures from the muzzle to the front of the action 21 1/4" so would that be considered a 22" barrel?
Yes, any kind of latter or ladder test will not get you where you need to be, your barrel length and twist is fine, we just need to get things tightened up a bit, where are you on neck interference and case fill

Last edited:
ButterBean
Just give me a call 812-264-6183