300wsm

Isn't rl 17 temperature dependent
Most powders are to at least some degree temperature sensitive producing pressure spikes in warm weather with loads that were fine in lower temperatures.

If you do most of your shooting during cooler weather as most hunters do you'll never notice it but if you are doing your load development in the winter and shooting the same loads in the summer it tends to show particularly if you are loading near or at maximums.

RL 17 falls into that category of powders.

Alliant has several new powders that are very temp stable though such as RL 16 and 23. From everything I've seen so far RL 26 is pretty stable as well.

For my 300WSM loads, R17 has a 1fps per degree F loss in velocity below 85 F at sea level.

I don't think elevation plays into powder temp sensitivity. If it does please explain.

At 20F I see a loss of 65fps. Easily corrected for and very consistent temp changes in my shooting.

What powders work best for your .300wsm using 180gr bullets

Not 180, but for what it is worth, here's what I used during my load development with 215 Berger last year. In order ...

RL-17
MagPro
H4831SC
IMR 7828SSC
H1000
H4350

... and for primers ...

9 1/2M
215M
CCI250
WLRM

I ended up with 60 RL-17, 9 1/2M, .080" of the lands, WW brass at 2750 FPS out of 24" barrel and yielded a MT muley buck at 425 yards as its first harvest.

Good luck!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.