300wsm

dcb

any experience with this for a 1000yrd.
better or worse than a 300wm
Thanks

I have been competing with the 300 WSM for 4 yrs. Top 1k rd. I like the 1-11 twist for 190-210s. However, sierra is saying that 1-11 or 1-12 will be better for their new 210s, so I would call them.

I am shooting a Broughton 1-12 with 187 Bibs (flatbase match bullet) at around 3000 fps.

BH

I can't say better or worse than the 300 Win. I think that has more to do with how it is built. I can say my 12.5 # 300 WSM is the most accurate hunting rifle I have at 1K. Like Bounty Hunter mine is a Broughton 11 twist. I shoot 175 SMK's at 3050fps

BH and rimfire,just wondering how far you guys are seating these bullets? Are they just in the neck or protruding below it?
Reason I ask is Im having a 300 saum done and having it chambered so a 180 gr accubond is right at the bottom of the neck.Am I headed in the right direction for this short case?

B64
Depends, most BR shooters seat way out. Mine was chambered as a hunting rifle Min SAAMI Spec. shorter throat for 175SMKS. Loaded 10thou off the lands I can just fit in a HS Mag. 190's use up some powder space.
I know the wsm with an AB seated that way wont fit my mag.
What is your OAL loaded Cartridge? what action? and is it a repeater?

Rimfire,the gun is a sendero and the oal of the cartridge is 3".Itll be used as a single shot,as the mag on the sendero wont even come close to accepting this length of loaded round.I made the 180 gr seat depth kind of a happy medium so that 168s will still seat in the neck a little over half way.

Primer is F210 and RWS. Powder is Norma MRP

AOL- who knows, never measure oal as these are single shot.

I seat by ogive to lands, that is accurate and measurable. That depends on the bullet as to where also. I was shooting 210 JLKs and they liked about .025 in the lands. Now I am using 187 BIBs and my LG likes .015 (some shoot the BIBs about .015 off the lands) in and my HG just had a new barrel put on and I pick up tomorrow. Both are broughton 1-12 twists with special throats just for the BIBs. However, think the 210s will work with this throat.

Bibs have a pressure ring and are FB bullets. Have to seat the pressure ring in the neck.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.