300wsm from 30-378

etisll40

I have a weatherby in 30-378 and I have a win wsm, can I have the barrel from the 30-378 weatherby taken off and installed on my win70 wsm, I'd like to go to 300wsm on the win70, it's a push feed. On the weatherby I want to go to 300 norma and have a benchmark barrel to do it. I also need a gunsmith to do both.

Thanks,
Ed

You will need to cut about 2.5 inches of the breech off of that 30-378 barrel before you can turn it into a 300WSM.

I think what he is getting at is this site has a steady stream of very nice rifles for sale and some great deals to be had.

I already have 2 30 cal blanks right now, but I don't think I'll be sh0oting the 30-378 as I just bought it for a 300 Norma build, I'm going to have 1 of the 30 cal barrels, 28" put on that rifle. I have a win 70 in 7wsm and wanted a 300 wsm but don't want to waste the 30-378 barrel as it only has 50 rounds on it. I guess I could sell it, but was thinking a shorter barreled 300 wsm would be nice to have. I think the shank length seems like the limiting factor right, if I have 2 1/2" cut off, I lose the shank so it can't be chambered at all? Right?

Maybe just sell it I guess?

Silly question, but I have to ask - what will be gained going from a 30-378 to the 300 Norma other than barrel life?

As your rifle has a brake I don't see that you have to worry about recoil at all. I understand that it's yours and you can do what you want, but it seems like a step backwards to me. The 30-378 is a heck of a caliber to shoot.

I'd shoot it as a 30-378 until the barrel wears out and then worry about it. But, that's just me.

Patrick, I think you are right, I was thinking the total cost of shooting it would be quite a bit higher in 30-378 than Norma and maybe harder to build loads and the new barrel I have is a little bit heavier. Possibly 2 sets of re loading dies and such too. Probably thinking about too much huh. I may love the 30-378 before I've discarded it. It will be my first foray into freebore as that subject baffles me. The 300 Norma can wait I guess, I should give the 30-378 caliber a chance. It is an established monster. On another subject, I am going to get a JP compensator for the big 30. I like what I've read about them.

The total cost of shooting the 300 Norma goes up a lot in comparison when you consider the cost of the barrel, gunsmithing cost, etc. So, I'd agree with trying the 30-378 first and see how it goes. Even with the price of 30-378 brass you can get a long way before equalling the cost of a rebarrel and chambering.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.