300wsm feeding????

blipelt

Do you typically have the same problems with the 300wsm as you do with the 7wsm feeding the longer BC bullets in a short action?

Brent

Last edited:
I have had 4 different 300wsm rifles and the only one I had a problem with was my Remington. The other 3 are savages and have functioned perfectly. My buddy has had 2 Remingtons and one Tikka in 300WSM and one of the Remingtons would not feed but the other one would as would the Tikka.

Do you typically have the same problems with the 300wsm as you do with the 7wsm feeding the longer BC bullets in a short action?

Brent

Brent,
The 300WSM and the 7WSM will both feed very similar and will never work very good with long heavy bullets seated out to max length in a short action.

To get the WSM to feed in a short action or any action properly the center feed mag systems are definitely the way to go.

The Winchester and some of the new Savages I have also made, feed with some good success as they are control round feed actions.

The Tikka's have a center feed mag for the WSM and feed very nice ,but you are still limited in your overall length in a short action, so the heavy bullets won't work very well without a special throat and seating the bullets down in the case.

Savages new center feed mag system also works very well, but again you are limited in overall length as with the Tikka.

My reccomendations... if you want a repeater with the WSM's and heavy VLD's seated to max length is to use a long action Remington style receiver with a center feed mag system, or a Winchester control round feed in a long action. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I have found work best. If a short action is a "must have" I would say you would be best to use either a Winchester CRF set up for the WSM's, a Tikka or a Remington with a center feed mag system and have the barrel cut with a special short throat cut. hopefully Seekins will be coming out with an extended short action center feed mag system for the WSM's soon.

FWIW,
Nate

Grit left here late lastnight and was still logged in to my computer. I realized after I posted this:rolleyes: so Len feel free to deleat the above post or Grit you can when you get home.

Brent,
The 300WSM and the 7WSM will both feed very similar and will never work very good with long heavy bullets seated out to max length in a short action.

To get the WSM to feed in a short action or any action properly the center feed mag systems are definitely the way to go.

The Winchester and some of the new Savages I have also made, feed with some good success as they are control round feed actions.

The Tikka's have a center feed mag for the WSM and feed very nice ,but you are still limited in your overall length in a short action, so the heavy bullets won't work very well without a special throat and seating the bullets down in the case.

Savages new center feed mag system also works very well, but again you are limited in overall length as with the Tikka.

My reccomendations... if you want a repeater with the WSM's and heavy VLD's seated to max length is to use a long action Remington style receiver with a center feed mag system, or a Winchester control round feed in a long action. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I have found work best. If a short action is a "must have" I would say you would be best to use either a Winchester CRF set up for the WSM's, a Tikka or a Remington with a center feed mag system and have the barrel cut with a special short throat cut. hopefully Seekins will be coming out with an extended short action center feed mag system for the WSM's soon.

FWIW,
Nate

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.