300winmag Sendero load for whitetails

smokepole

Hello guys!
I have a 300winmag Sendero (not the stainless) its blue steel. Just wondering what you fellers recomended for shooting whitetails at 125yd to 200yds and taking the deer down right then? I dont like having to shoot deer more than once and I dont like crippling deer.Please help me find a bullet that will shoot accurate at this range and do its job when it gets there.Thanks for the input in advance!:)

Last edited:
smokepole,

For your 300 Win Mag, I would go with 180 gr bullets like a 180 gr BT or AB with 75.0 grs RL 22 and a Federal GM215M primer. This load has shot well under MOA in 3 different rifles.

JD338

200gr nosler Ab 78gr of H1000 and fed mag 215 primer. This is a great load in mine.I would start at 76 and work up.

I also use 165 gr Ab's with 75 gr of H4831sc and fed 210m's

200gr AB at 2945 fps out of mine (73.2gr Re22). If you want them go go straight down you have to break the shoulders. No bullet or caliber is going to drop every deer if you just rib-shoot them through the lungs.

ATH,
I put this rifle back in the safe shortly after I shot a whitetail broadside(shoulder) at 95yds with a remington cor-loc 150gr bullet andhe got up and was dragging his front end then I put a texas heart shot on him and then when I got to him he was still alive and I pulled my ruger 44 off my side and finished him.That was almost rediculess! I always try to brake the shoulders when I shoot a whitetail.That shooting the heart or lungs are for bow hunters.
I do remember once my brother shot a whitetail at around 250yds with his ruger m77 300winmag with a 180FailSafe bullet and the bullet hit him in the rump broadside and the deer fell dead in his tracks!LOL

Don't get me wrong, you'll kill a deer shooting it through the lungs, it just may run a short distance.

Agree with BigDaddy, 200 gr AB's and H-1000. Drops deer and elk with a good high shoulder shot placement under 600 yds. I haven't tried it further, but it could work.

I would seriously consider avoiding any of the 55gr accelerator loads for deer from a 300 WM (if they ever even made them) and I'm not too sure that those 100 gr plinkers that Speer makes (made) would be good whitetail bullets either but they too would probably work at least OK on well placed shots. That being said I'm wondering what sort of 300 WM load with anything other than FMJs wouldn't work on whitetails? Can you shoot a whitetail in the ribs with a 300 WM and not kill it? I'm thinking that this is a discussion along the lines of "Which tires on my 1981 Cadillac will work best for crushing beer cans?".

I wouldn't put the 300wm in the safe yet. You have to remember shooting a 150gr non-bonded bullet out of a 300wm with impact velocities of over 3100fps, you might as well been shooting a 22-250, take the advice of the other guys on the forum, shoot the heavy bonded bullets, You will not be disapointed

This thread reminds me of the outdoor show where they were talking about whitetail rifles and the 300WM was their recommended MINIMUM. I switched the channel right then.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.